Mar 20, 2012, 11:27 AM EDT
Columbus goalie Curtis Sanford has done yeoman work in holding down the fort while Steve Mason struggled with poor play and injury and supposed-to-be backup Mark Dekanich missed the season with his own injuries. It’s only fitting that Sanford’s season comes to an end on injuries of his own.
Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards announced that Sanford will miss the rest of the year with a leg injury. Rookie Allen York will take his spot as the team’s backup the rest of the year. While Mason has bounced back in a big way late in the season thanks to wearing pads that fit right, Sanford had a solid year trying to hold things together. Not bad for a guy that was supposed to be the first call-up option from the AHL.
The job Sanford did in Columbus this year after getting over shoulder surgery last season was also enough to earn him the team’s Masterton Trophy nomination. At least he’s got that going for him.
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 2
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 72
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 63
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)