Mar 20, 2012, 11:27 AM EST
Columbus goalie Curtis Sanford has done yeoman work in holding down the fort while Steve Mason struggled with poor play and injury and supposed-to-be backup Mark Dekanich missed the season with his own injuries. It’s only fitting that Sanford’s season comes to an end on injuries of his own.
Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards announced that Sanford will miss the rest of the year with a leg injury. Rookie Allen York will take his spot as the team’s backup the rest of the year. While Mason has bounced back in a big way late in the season thanks to wearing pads that fit right, Sanford had a solid year trying to hold things together. Not bad for a guy that was supposed to be the first call-up option from the AHL.
The job Sanford did in Columbus this year after getting over shoulder surgery last season was also enough to earn him the team’s Masterton Trophy nomination. At least he’s got that going for him.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 9
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 12
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)