Mar 20, 2012, 11:27 AM EDT
Columbus goalie Curtis Sanford has done yeoman work in holding down the fort while Steve Mason struggled with poor play and injury and supposed-to-be backup Mark Dekanich missed the season with his own injuries. It’s only fitting that Sanford’s season comes to an end on injuries of his own.
Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards announced that Sanford will miss the rest of the year with a leg injury. Rookie Allen York will take his spot as the team’s backup the rest of the year. While Mason has bounced back in a big way late in the season thanks to wearing pads that fit right, Sanford had a solid year trying to hold things together. Not bad for a guy that was supposed to be the first call-up option from the AHL.
The job Sanford did in Columbus this year after getting over shoulder surgery last season was also enough to earn him the team’s Masterton Trophy nomination. At least he’s got that going for him.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)