Mar 20, 2012, 11:27 AM EDT
Columbus goalie Curtis Sanford has done yeoman work in holding down the fort while Steve Mason struggled with poor play and injury and supposed-to-be backup Mark Dekanich missed the season with his own injuries. It’s only fitting that Sanford’s season comes to an end on injuries of his own.
Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards announced that Sanford will miss the rest of the year with a leg injury. Rookie Allen York will take his spot as the team’s backup the rest of the year. While Mason has bounced back in a big way late in the season thanks to wearing pads that fit right, Sanford had a solid year trying to hold things together. Not bad for a guy that was supposed to be the first call-up option from the AHL.
The job Sanford did in Columbus this year after getting over shoulder surgery last season was also enough to earn him the team’s Masterton Trophy nomination. At least he’s got that going for him.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 22
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 41
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)