Mar 20, 2012, 3:20 PM EDT
Good news on the injury front for the reeling Red Wings – captain Nicklas Lidstrom skated for the second straight day today and could be back in action by the weekend.
“We’re hopeful he might be ready Saturday [at home to Carolina],” said coach Mike Babcock, as per The Detroit News.
Lidstrom’s missed the last 10 games with a bruised ankle that’s taken longer to heal than first expected. The Wings are 3-6-1 during that stretch, and while they’ve had numerous other injuries to contend with, it’s clear they’re not the same team without their 41-year-old defenseman. Which doesn’t bode particularly well for their future, but they’ll worry about that later.
“We can’t sit around feeling sorry for ourselves. We’re not going anywhere that way,” defenseman Niklas Kronwall said yesterday after Detroit fell, 5-3, at home to the Capitals. “We have to find a way to come together as a group and move forward, still try to think positive, see things positive.”
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34