Mar 20, 2012, 3:20 PM EDT
Good news on the injury front for the reeling Red Wings – captain Nicklas Lidstrom skated for the second straight day today and could be back in action by the weekend.
“We’re hopeful he might be ready Saturday [at home to Carolina],” said coach Mike Babcock, as per The Detroit News.
Lidstrom’s missed the last 10 games with a bruised ankle that’s taken longer to heal than first expected. The Wings are 3-6-1 during that stretch, and while they’ve had numerous other injuries to contend with, it’s clear they’re not the same team without their 41-year-old defenseman. Which doesn’t bode particularly well for their future, but they’ll worry about that later.
“We can’t sit around feeling sorry for ourselves. We’re not going anywhere that way,” defenseman Niklas Kronwall said yesterday after Detroit fell, 5-3, at home to the Capitals. “We have to find a way to come together as a group and move forward, still try to think positive, see things positive.”
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)