Mar 20, 2012, 2:23 PM EDT
Bobby Orr — the only defenseman in NHL history to win two scoring titles, three MVP awards and eight consecutive Norris Trophies — is turning 64 today. We here at PHT would like to wish the greatest blueliner ever a happy birthday, and what better way to do it than with a video tribute?
First, here’s his famous Stanley Cup-winning goal against St. Louis in 1970. You’ve probably seen it a million times, but just to refresh the particulars…the goal was scored on a give-and-go with Derek Sanderson 40 seconds into the first overtime period of Game 4 (the B’s swept the Blues.)
St. Louis defenseman Noel Picard is the one flipping Orr skyward while Glenn Hall — who had come out of retirement that year to split duties with 41-year-old Jacques Plante — was in goal.
Next, here’s a look at the entirety of Orr’s 1969-70 season, arguably the greatest single-season effort in NHL history. Orr won the Art Ross, Conn Smythe, Hart Memorial, James Norris and Plus/Minus Award that year — as a defenseman, he scored 120 points, 21 clear of second-place Phil Esposito.
Finally, here’s a shirtless Orr interviewing a shirtless Bobby Hull poolside at the Half Moon Club in Jamaica.
To answer your question: No, I don’t know why they’re sitting so close together and yes, it does seem a little too close.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)