Mar 20, 2012, 2:23 PM EST
Bobby Orr — the only defenseman in NHL history to win two scoring titles, three MVP awards and eight consecutive Norris Trophies — is turning 64 today. We here at PHT would like to wish the greatest blueliner ever a happy birthday, and what better way to do it than with a video tribute?
First, here’s his famous Stanley Cup-winning goal against St. Louis in 1970. You’ve probably seen it a million times, but just to refresh the particulars…the goal was scored on a give-and-go with Derek Sanderson 40 seconds into the first overtime period of Game 4 (the B’s swept the Blues.)
St. Louis defenseman Noel Picard is the one flipping Orr skyward while Glenn Hall — who had come out of retirement that year to split duties with 41-year-old Jacques Plante — was in goal.
Next, here’s a look at the entirety of Orr’s 1969-70 season, arguably the greatest single-season effort in NHL history. Orr won the Art Ross, Conn Smythe, Hart Memorial, James Norris and Plus/Minus Award that year — as a defenseman, he scored 120 points, 21 clear of second-place Phil Esposito.
Finally, here’s a shirtless Orr interviewing a shirtless Bobby Hull poolside at the Half Moon Club in Jamaica.
To answer your question: No, I don’t know why they’re sitting so close together and yes, it does seem a little too close.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 34
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 50
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 33
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 49
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (169)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)