Mar 20, 2012, 2:23 PM EST
Bobby Orr — the only defenseman in NHL history to win two scoring titles, three MVP awards and eight consecutive Norris Trophies — is turning 64 today. We here at PHT would like to wish the greatest blueliner ever a happy birthday, and what better way to do it than with a video tribute?
First, here’s his famous Stanley Cup-winning goal against St. Louis in 1970. You’ve probably seen it a million times, but just to refresh the particulars…the goal was scored on a give-and-go with Derek Sanderson 40 seconds into the first overtime period of Game 4 (the B’s swept the Blues.)
St. Louis defenseman Noel Picard is the one flipping Orr skyward while Glenn Hall — who had come out of retirement that year to split duties with 41-year-old Jacques Plante — was in goal.
Next, here’s a look at the entirety of Orr’s 1969-70 season, arguably the greatest single-season effort in NHL history. Orr won the Art Ross, Conn Smythe, Hart Memorial, James Norris and Plus/Minus Award that year — as a defenseman, he scored 120 points, 21 clear of second-place Phil Esposito.
Finally, here’s a shirtless Orr interviewing a shirtless Bobby Hull poolside at the Half Moon Club in Jamaica.
To answer your question: No, I don’t know why they’re sitting so close together and yes, it does seem a little too close.
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 13
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 30
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 33
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)