Mar 20, 2012, 2:23 PM EDT
Bobby Orr — the only defenseman in NHL history to win two scoring titles, three MVP awards and eight consecutive Norris Trophies — is turning 64 today. We here at PHT would like to wish the greatest blueliner ever a happy birthday, and what better way to do it than with a video tribute?
First, here’s his famous Stanley Cup-winning goal against St. Louis in 1970. You’ve probably seen it a million times, but just to refresh the particulars…the goal was scored on a give-and-go with Derek Sanderson 40 seconds into the first overtime period of Game 4 (the B’s swept the Blues.)
St. Louis defenseman Noel Picard is the one flipping Orr skyward while Glenn Hall — who had come out of retirement that year to split duties with 41-year-old Jacques Plante — was in goal.
Next, here’s a look at the entirety of Orr’s 1969-70 season, arguably the greatest single-season effort in NHL history. Orr won the Art Ross, Conn Smythe, Hart Memorial, James Norris and Plus/Minus Award that year — as a defenseman, he scored 120 points, 21 clear of second-place Phil Esposito.
Finally, here’s a shirtless Orr interviewing a shirtless Bobby Hull poolside at the Half Moon Club in Jamaica.
To answer your question: No, I don’t know why they’re sitting so close together and yes, it does seem a little too close.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 24
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 46
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (48)