Mar 20, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
Former junior hockey coach Graham James has been handed a two-year prison sentence for sexually assaulting two of his former teenage players, one of which was ex-NHL star Theoren Fleury.
The ruling, announced today in a Winnipeg court, will be widely criticized as too lenient. The Crown wanted a six-year prison sentence. James’ other victim, Todd Holt, called the ruling “nothing short of a national travesty” in a statement.
James was given a 3.5-year prison sentence (he served 18 months) in 1997 for sexually assaulting two other former players, and Judge Catherine Carlson said the court must consider what he would have received for all four assaults.
“There is no sentence this court can impose that will give back to Mr. Holt and Mr. Fleury that which was taken by Mr James,” Carlson said.
Via the Globe and Mail:
But the judge also pointed out that Mr. James expressed remorse, apologized to his victims and has experienced what she called “an extreme degree of humiliation” — factors that warranted a reduction in his sentence.
She said Mr. James could have fought extradition from Mexico, where he had been living, but voluntarily came back to face the charges. He pleaded guilty and has kept a regular full-time job.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)