Mar 20, 2012, 1:09 PM EST
Former junior hockey coach Graham James has been handed a two-year prison sentence for sexually assaulting two of his former teenage players, one of which was ex-NHL star Theoren Fleury.
The ruling, announced today in a Winnipeg court, will be widely criticized as too lenient. The Crown wanted a six-year prison sentence. James’ other victim, Todd Holt, called the ruling “nothing short of a national travesty” in a statement.
James was given a 3.5-year prison sentence (he served 18 months) in 1997 for sexually assaulting two other former players, and Judge Catherine Carlson said the court must consider what he would have received for all four assaults.
“There is no sentence this court can impose that will give back to Mr. Holt and Mr. Fleury that which was taken by Mr James,” Carlson said.
Via the Globe and Mail:
But the judge also pointed out that Mr. James expressed remorse, apologized to his victims and has experienced what she called “an extreme degree of humiliation” — factors that warranted a reduction in his sentence.
She said Mr. James could have fought extradition from Mexico, where he had been living, but voluntarily came back to face the charges. He pleaded guilty and has kept a regular full-time job.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 2
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 2
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)