Mar 20, 2012, 10:14 AM EST
By now you’ve probably noticed a distinct uptick in goalie interference calls during games. Either they’ve resulted in penalties or, at worst, they’ve caused goals to be disallowed. There’s fewer things more frustrating than seeing a player get shoved into a goalie or just stand too close to one and seeing cause a goal to be wiped away.
CBC’s Elliotte Friedman mentions during his great 30 thoughts column that you can expect to see the men in stripes try to do a better job of getting the call right from here on out.
Get ready to see more officials conferences after scores when there’s contact with the goalies. After the GM meetings, a memo was sent to all referees and linesman to consult with one another to make sure they get it right. For example, linesman will be allowed to tell referees if it should be no goal because there was a penalty on the play, even though they’re not allowed to call one. Just the same, if one of them sees a defender was responsible for pushing an attacker into the net, the goal can stand.
The amount of sense this all makes is immense. With the playoffs coming up and the added emphasis there’s been to pay attention to what happens in and around the goal, making sure the call is absolutely right is vital. The last thing anyone wants to see is a playoff game or series altered because of a bogus call around the crease.
This is where someone mentions something about 1999 and Brett Hull while Sabres fans throw their computer on the ground.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 121
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (121)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)