Mar 20, 2012, 10:14 AM EST
By now you’ve probably noticed a distinct uptick in goalie interference calls during games. Either they’ve resulted in penalties or, at worst, they’ve caused goals to be disallowed. There’s fewer things more frustrating than seeing a player get shoved into a goalie or just stand too close to one and seeing cause a goal to be wiped away.
CBC’s Elliotte Friedman mentions during his great 30 thoughts column that you can expect to see the men in stripes try to do a better job of getting the call right from here on out.
Get ready to see more officials conferences after scores when there’s contact with the goalies. After the GM meetings, a memo was sent to all referees and linesman to consult with one another to make sure they get it right. For example, linesman will be allowed to tell referees if it should be no goal because there was a penalty on the play, even though they’re not allowed to call one. Just the same, if one of them sees a defender was responsible for pushing an attacker into the net, the goal can stand.
The amount of sense this all makes is immense. With the playoffs coming up and the added emphasis there’s been to pay attention to what happens in and around the goal, making sure the call is absolutely right is vital. The last thing anyone wants to see is a playoff game or series altered because of a bogus call around the crease.
This is where someone mentions something about 1999 and Brett Hull while Sabres fans throw their computer on the ground.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)