Mar 20, 2012, 10:14 AM EDT
By now you’ve probably noticed a distinct uptick in goalie interference calls during games. Either they’ve resulted in penalties or, at worst, they’ve caused goals to be disallowed. There’s fewer things more frustrating than seeing a player get shoved into a goalie or just stand too close to one and seeing cause a goal to be wiped away.
CBC’s Elliotte Friedman mentions during his great 30 thoughts column that you can expect to see the men in stripes try to do a better job of getting the call right from here on out.
Get ready to see more officials conferences after scores when there’s contact with the goalies. After the GM meetings, a memo was sent to all referees and linesman to consult with one another to make sure they get it right. For example, linesman will be allowed to tell referees if it should be no goal because there was a penalty on the play, even though they’re not allowed to call one. Just the same, if one of them sees a defender was responsible for pushing an attacker into the net, the goal can stand.
The amount of sense this all makes is immense. With the playoffs coming up and the added emphasis there’s been to pay attention to what happens in and around the goal, making sure the call is absolutely right is vital. The last thing anyone wants to see is a playoff game or series altered because of a bogus call around the crease.
This is where someone mentions something about 1999 and Brett Hull while Sabres fans throw their computer on the ground.
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 0
- Report: John Hynes to be named head coach of the Devils 17
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 78
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- Overtime format highlights competition committee meeting agenda 16
- Report: Changes coming to compensation for executives 23
- Here’s your 2015 Stanley Cup Final schedule 34
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years 95
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Western Conference Final Game 7 5
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (78)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)
- Despite getting further than ever before, big game letdowns continue to haunt Boudreau (64)