Mar 20, 2012, 10:04 PM EST
The Pens pounded the Winnipeg Jets 8-4 in Sidney Crosby‘s first game back in Pittsburgh as part of his second comeback. Crosby racked up four assists – all through the first two periods, but only managed to be the third star of the game because his other teammates were so impressive.
James Neal got the second one with a hat trick, but Geno’s 200 (and 201) goal celebration earned a first star thanks to his ridiculous five-point output.
- Malkin’s five-point night gives him 93 on the season, with 43 goals. His Art Ross lead over Steven Stamkos and Claude Giroux grew to nine points.
- Neal is making that $5 million-per-year extension seem perfectly fair as he now has 35 goals and 72 points on the season.
- Crosby now has nine points (all assists) in his four games back and has two goals and 21 points in 12 contests in 2011-12.
This win bumps the Penguins up to 96 points with a blistering 12-0-1 run. Here are the highlights of the game:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
With the Philadelphia Flyers dropping a 2-1 regulation loss to the Florida Panthers tonight, it looks like it’ll come down to the New York Rangers vs. Penguins for the Atlantic Division title – and the first seed in the East.
Here’s an updated view of that race:
Rangers: 97 points, 42 regulation/OT wins, 10 games left – five at home and on the road
Penguins: 96 points, 36 regulation/OT wins, 10 games left – six at home and four on the road
The Penguins host the Rangers in Pittsburgh on April 5, the penultimate game of their season. You’re not crazy for thinking that the Atlantic Division might be decided in that game.
Then again, with the way Pittsburgh is playing, the Rangers might be lucky to hold them off until then.
Jan 30, 2015, 5:16 PM EST
“We would be thrilled to have them play at our venue.”
Jan 30, 2015, 4:24 PM EST
Ville Pokka is a fun name.
Jan 30, 2015, 3:57 PM EST
Spent last season in Buffalo.
Jan 30, 2015, 3:37 PM EST
Oklahoma City and Worcester do not.
Jan 30, 2015, 3:26 PM EST
Key Western Conference tilt tonight at Honda.
Jan 30, 2015, 2:48 PM EST
Not that that’s likely. Just…possible.
Jan 30, 2015, 2:17 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Jan 30, 2015, 1:01 PM EST
Xavier Ouellet sticking around?
Jan 30, 2015, 12:52 PM EST
Pittsburgh d-man won’t play tonight against New Jersey.
Jan 30, 2015, 12:39 PM EST
They play in Vancouver tonight.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:42 AM EST
Ducks and Rangers have been hot.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:37 AM EST
Just one day after Artem Anisimov drew back into the lineup.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:21 AM EST
St. Louis’ forward depth about to be tested.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:06 AM EST
Rangers d-man has struggled to get games recently.
Jan 30, 2015, 10:33 AM EST
74-year-old was the first player to ever have his jersey retired by the organization.
Jan 30, 2015, 10:19 AM EST
Will he make his NHL debut?
Jan 30, 2015, 9:56 AM EST
There’s lots of interest in him, but teams that see him as a rental might balk at that price.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:02 AM EST
Both are out Friday.
Jan 30, 2015, 8:04 AM EST
Friday’s collection of links.
Jan 30, 2015, 12:17 AM EST
Head coach Mike Yeo said he earned that goose egg, too.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 55
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 35
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12