Mar 20, 2012, 12:37 PM EST
Things are pretty grim in Toronto. The Leafs’ playoff chances are all but snuffed out and last night’s humiliation in Boston — an 8-0 shellacking that included Milan Lucic whaling on Mike Komisarek — has left certain folks disillusioned.
Two of those folk appear to be Mark Zwolinski and Bob Mitchell of the Toronto Star, who recently collaborated on an article titled “Toronto Maple Leafs, Columbus Blue Jackets in dead heat“.
Zwolinski and Mitchell compared the two organizations — using 30th-place CBJ as the low benchmark, of course — to see just what kind of shape Toronto was in.
The conclusion? Not very good.
Not in the standings, where the Leafs hold a comfortable edge this season, but when comparing the franchises top to bottom — with what promises to be a busy off-season fast approaching.
The comparison is broken down into five categories: Goaltending, Prospects, Defence, Forwards and Off-Season. Toronto got the edge in prospects, forwards and off-season (based largely on the assumption the Leafs will go hard after Rick Nash) while Columbus got the nod in defense and goaltending.
PHT Aside: That CBJ is deemed to have better goaltending than any NHL club either 1) throws the entire article’s legitimacy into doubt, or 2) says a more about the Jonas Gustavsson and James Reimer than their pedestrian numbers ever could.
In a related story, the Leafs sit 24th overall in the NHL standings (72 points) with nine games remaining in the regular season. That’s only one point clear of 25th-place Tampa Bay, two clear of 26th-place Minnesota and three clear of New York and Montreal, both on 69 points.
Should the Leafs continue to stagger down the stretch, there’s a very real possibility they’ll be drafting in the top five — something they haven’t done since 2008, when they took Luke Schenn fifth overall.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 1
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 32
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 56
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)