Mar 20, 2012, 12:37 PM EST
Things are pretty grim in Toronto. The Leafs’ playoff chances are all but snuffed out and last night’s humiliation in Boston — an 8-0 shellacking that included Milan Lucic whaling on Mike Komisarek — has left certain folks disillusioned.
Two of those folk appear to be Mark Zwolinski and Bob Mitchell of the Toronto Star, who recently collaborated on an article titled “Toronto Maple Leafs, Columbus Blue Jackets in dead heat“.
Zwolinski and Mitchell compared the two organizations — using 30th-place CBJ as the low benchmark, of course — to see just what kind of shape Toronto was in.
The conclusion? Not very good.
Not in the standings, where the Leafs hold a comfortable edge this season, but when comparing the franchises top to bottom — with what promises to be a busy off-season fast approaching.
The comparison is broken down into five categories: Goaltending, Prospects, Defence, Forwards and Off-Season. Toronto got the edge in prospects, forwards and off-season (based largely on the assumption the Leafs will go hard after Rick Nash) while Columbus got the nod in defense and goaltending.
PHT Aside: That CBJ is deemed to have better goaltending than any NHL club either 1) throws the entire article’s legitimacy into doubt, or 2) says a more about the Jonas Gustavsson and James Reimer than their pedestrian numbers ever could.
In a related story, the Leafs sit 24th overall in the NHL standings (72 points) with nine games remaining in the regular season. That’s only one point clear of 25th-place Tampa Bay, two clear of 26th-place Minnesota and three clear of New York and Montreal, both on 69 points.
Should the Leafs continue to stagger down the stretch, there’s a very real possibility they’ll be drafting in the top five — something they haven’t done since 2008, when they took Luke Schenn fifth overall.
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 2
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56