Mar 20, 2012, 5:55 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are 11-4-1 since a nine-game losing streak that started in January and ended in February. And whether they carry their improved play into the playoffs, owner Rocky Wirtz says coach Joel Quenneville will remain behind the bench next season.
“Oh yeah, there would be no reason [not to retain him],” Wirtz told ESPN.com today. “He’s signed, they’re playing for him. He’s not a players’ coach, which is good, and he’s good with younger players. St. Louis is a prime example. They changed coaches and there was nothing wrong, he just wasn’t good with younger players…
“You have to have coaches willing to adapt. Mike Keenan is terrific if you have an older team, but you don’t expect him to be around for four years.”
Wirtz said he spoke to GM Stan Bowman during the losing streak and that Bowman assured him the team had not quit on Quenneville.
Of note, the way the standings look today, it’s likely the ‘Hawks will end up sixth in the Western Conference and take on the winner of the Pacific Division – a team that’s liable to finish with an inferior record to Chicago’s.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)