Mar 20, 2012, 5:55 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are 11-4-1 since a nine-game losing streak that started in January and ended in February. And whether they carry their improved play into the playoffs, owner Rocky Wirtz says coach Joel Quenneville will remain behind the bench next season.
“Oh yeah, there would be no reason [not to retain him],” Wirtz told ESPN.com today. “He’s signed, they’re playing for him. He’s not a players’ coach, which is good, and he’s good with younger players. St. Louis is a prime example. They changed coaches and there was nothing wrong, he just wasn’t good with younger players…
“You have to have coaches willing to adapt. Mike Keenan is terrific if you have an older team, but you don’t expect him to be around for four years.”
Wirtz said he spoke to GM Stan Bowman during the losing streak and that Bowman assured him the team had not quit on Quenneville.
Of note, the way the standings look today, it’s likely the ‘Hawks will end up sixth in the Western Conference and take on the winner of the Pacific Division – a team that’s liable to finish with an inferior record to Chicago’s.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 1
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 2
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 33
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)