Mar 20, 2012, 5:55 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are 11-4-1 since a nine-game losing streak that started in January and ended in February. And whether they carry their improved play into the playoffs, owner Rocky Wirtz says coach Joel Quenneville will remain behind the bench next season.
“Oh yeah, there would be no reason [not to retain him],” Wirtz told ESPN.com today. “He’s signed, they’re playing for him. He’s not a players’ coach, which is good, and he’s good with younger players. St. Louis is a prime example. They changed coaches and there was nothing wrong, he just wasn’t good with younger players…
“You have to have coaches willing to adapt. Mike Keenan is terrific if you have an older team, but you don’t expect him to be around for four years.”
Wirtz said he spoke to GM Stan Bowman during the losing streak and that Bowman assured him the team had not quit on Quenneville.
Of note, the way the standings look today, it’s likely the ‘Hawks will end up sixth in the Western Conference and take on the winner of the Pacific Division – a team that’s liable to finish with an inferior record to Chicago’s.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 0
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 6
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 4
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 23
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)