Mar 20, 2012, 5:55 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are 11-4-1 since a nine-game losing streak that started in January and ended in February. And whether they carry their improved play into the playoffs, owner Rocky Wirtz says coach Joel Quenneville will remain behind the bench next season.
“Oh yeah, there would be no reason [not to retain him],” Wirtz told ESPN.com today. “He’s signed, they’re playing for him. He’s not a players’ coach, which is good, and he’s good with younger players. St. Louis is a prime example. They changed coaches and there was nothing wrong, he just wasn’t good with younger players…
“You have to have coaches willing to adapt. Mike Keenan is terrific if you have an older team, but you don’t expect him to be around for four years.”
Wirtz said he spoke to GM Stan Bowman during the losing streak and that Bowman assured him the team had not quit on Quenneville.
Of note, the way the standings look today, it’s likely the ‘Hawks will end up sixth in the Western Conference and take on the winner of the Pacific Division – a team that’s liable to finish with an inferior record to Chicago’s.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)