Mar 19, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
When Devils captain Zach Parise said earlier this year he wasn’t going to negotiate a new contract during the season with the team, many New Jersey fans took it as a sign he’d be testing the free agent waters this summer. Since then, Parise has turned up his game and has the Devils cruising into the postseason.
As Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger finds out, it’s no coincidence that eliminating the distraction of talking about a new deal is helping Parise in a big way this season.
“I think at different times your mind wanders,” Parise said. “But I think my agents did a really good job kind of helping me through it. It can be hard. You go to Canadian cities and certain cities and that’s the first thing the media asks you about. So you have to be able to kind of block that part out.
“When you’re repeatedly asked about it, at times it can be hard to block it out. After a while I had to say I’m not going to answer questions about it any more. I think it’s gone the way I expected it to go.”
He’s blocked it all out just fine as he’s scored 28 goals and added 34 assists putting him third on the team in points behind Ilya Kovalchuk and Patrik Elias. While Parise tells Chere he’s not happy where his game has been the last few games, the Devils having three clutch scorers makes them a tough team to handle in the playoffs.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 5
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 15
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)