Mar 19, 2012, 4:42 PM EST
The return of the Jets has been great for the city of Winnipeg, but in the NHL’s smallest market there are only so many entertainment dollars to go around. And according to the Globe and Mail, fewer of those dollars are being spent on cultural outings.
Probably not a coincidence.
Since the Jets returned home this season to huge fanfare, large arts institutions such as the Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre, Royal Winnipeg Ballet, Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra and Manitoba Opera have all reported drops in attendance.
Fewer than a million people live in the prairie city, so adding a major-league franchise was bound to have an effect.
Kevin Donnelly, senior vice-president of True North Sports and Entertainment – the owner of the Jets and the MTS Centre where they play – doesn’t pretend the NHL isn’t a factor.
“You have to admit there is new competition for people’s time and attention and of course money,” Donnelly told the Globe.
No truth to the rumor the Royal Winnipeg Ballet is in talks to relocate to Glendale.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)