Mar 19, 2012, 4:42 PM EDT
The return of the Jets has been great for the city of Winnipeg, but in the NHL’s smallest market there are only so many entertainment dollars to go around. And according to the Globe and Mail, fewer of those dollars are being spent on cultural outings.
Probably not a coincidence.
Since the Jets returned home this season to huge fanfare, large arts institutions such as the Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre, Royal Winnipeg Ballet, Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra and Manitoba Opera have all reported drops in attendance.
Fewer than a million people live in the prairie city, so adding a major-league franchise was bound to have an effect.
Kevin Donnelly, senior vice-president of True North Sports and Entertainment – the owner of the Jets and the MTS Centre where they play – doesn’t pretend the NHL isn’t a factor.
“You have to admit there is new competition for people’s time and attention and of course money,” Donnelly told the Globe.
No truth to the rumor the Royal Winnipeg Ballet is in talks to relocate to Glendale.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 1
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 11
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 17
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)