Mar 19, 2012, 4:42 PM EDT
The return of the Jets has been great for the city of Winnipeg, but in the NHL’s smallest market there are only so many entertainment dollars to go around. And according to the Globe and Mail, fewer of those dollars are being spent on cultural outings.
Probably not a coincidence.
Since the Jets returned home this season to huge fanfare, large arts institutions such as the Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre, Royal Winnipeg Ballet, Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra and Manitoba Opera have all reported drops in attendance.
Fewer than a million people live in the prairie city, so adding a major-league franchise was bound to have an effect.
Kevin Donnelly, senior vice-president of True North Sports and Entertainment – the owner of the Jets and the MTS Centre where they play – doesn’t pretend the NHL isn’t a factor.
“You have to admit there is new competition for people’s time and attention and of course money,” Donnelly told the Globe.
No truth to the rumor the Royal Winnipeg Ballet is in talks to relocate to Glendale.
- Video: Lundqvist snares Stamkos’ scary shot 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 5
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 25
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)