Mar 19, 2012, 4:42 PM EDT
The return of the Jets has been great for the city of Winnipeg, but in the NHL’s smallest market there are only so many entertainment dollars to go around. And according to the Globe and Mail, fewer of those dollars are being spent on cultural outings.
Probably not a coincidence.
Since the Jets returned home this season to huge fanfare, large arts institutions such as the Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre, Royal Winnipeg Ballet, Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra and Manitoba Opera have all reported drops in attendance.
Fewer than a million people live in the prairie city, so adding a major-league franchise was bound to have an effect.
Kevin Donnelly, senior vice-president of True North Sports and Entertainment – the owner of the Jets and the MTS Centre where they play – doesn’t pretend the NHL isn’t a factor.
“You have to admit there is new competition for people’s time and attention and of course money,” Donnelly told the Globe.
No truth to the rumor the Royal Winnipeg Ballet is in talks to relocate to Glendale.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)