Mar 19, 2012, 5:41 PM EDT
From Puck Daddy/TSN contributor Dmitry Chesnokov, the latest from the Alex Radulov-to-Nashville saga:
— Here’s a quote from KHL President Alexander Medvedev (courtesy Puck Daddy):
“He [Radulov] does not intend to sign any long term contract with Nashville. Alexander will satisfy his old contract by playing the end of the regular season and the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Then he will become a restricted free agent in accordance with NHL rules. After that [when Radulov turns 27 and he becomes an unrestricted free agent] he will have a right to sign a contract with any NHL club.
“But we believe that next season Alexander will come back to the KHL where the rights to him belong to Ufa. And how [the club] handles those rights, it is up to Salavat Yulaev.”
— Here’s how Medvedev and Salavat Yulaev probably want this to play out: 1) Radulov plays the remainder of Nashville’s regular season. 2) Predators lose in the opening playoff round. 3) Radulov finishes the NHL postseason quickly enough to play for Russia at the 2012 IIHF World Championships. 4) He returns to the Salavat in the fall to defend his KHL scoring title.
— Here’s how Radulov probably wants this to play out: 1) Join the Preds, fulfill final year of contractual obligation to organization. 2) Become restricted free agent. 3) Return to KHL for a year, turn 27 (on July 5, 2013). 4) Become unrestricted free agent. 5) Sign big deal with any NHL suitor of his choosing, freed from the burden of RFA status.
— In light of this development, it’s not surprising Nashville GM David Poile’s statement was short on details. Do the Predators even want Radulov back under these circumstances?
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)