Mar 19, 2012, 5:41 PM EST
From Puck Daddy/TSN contributor Dmitry Chesnokov, the latest from the Alex Radulov-to-Nashville saga:
– Here’s a quote from KHL President Alexander Medvedev (courtesy Puck Daddy):
“He [Radulov] does not intend to sign any long term contract with Nashville. Alexander will satisfy his old contract by playing the end of the regular season and the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Then he will become a restricted free agent in accordance with NHL rules. After that [when Radulov turns 27 and he becomes an unrestricted free agent] he will have a right to sign a contract with any NHL club.
“But we believe that next season Alexander will come back to the KHL where the rights to him belong to Ufa. And how [the club] handles those rights, it is up to Salavat Yulaev.”
– Here’s how Medvedev and Salavat Yulaev probably want this to play out: 1) Radulov plays the remainder of Nashville’s regular season. 2) Predators lose in the opening playoff round. 3) Radulov finishes the NHL postseason quickly enough to play for Russia at the 2012 IIHF World Championships. 4) He returns to the Salavat in the fall to defend his KHL scoring title.
– Here’s how Radulov probably wants this to play out: 1) Join the Preds, fulfill final year of contractual obligation to organization. 2) Become restricted free agent. 3) Return to KHL for a year, turn 27 (on July 5, 2013). 4) Become unrestricted free agent. 5) Sign big deal with any NHL suitor of his choosing, freed from the burden of RFA status.
– In light of this development, it’s not surprising Nashville GM David Poile’s statement was short on details. Do the Predators even want Radulov back under these circumstances?
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 16
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)