Mar 19, 2012, 5:41 PM EDT
From Puck Daddy/TSN contributor Dmitry Chesnokov, the latest from the Alex Radulov-to-Nashville saga:
– Here’s a quote from KHL President Alexander Medvedev (courtesy Puck Daddy):
“He [Radulov] does not intend to sign any long term contract with Nashville. Alexander will satisfy his old contract by playing the end of the regular season and the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Then he will become a restricted free agent in accordance with NHL rules. After that [when Radulov turns 27 and he becomes an unrestricted free agent] he will have a right to sign a contract with any NHL club.
“But we believe that next season Alexander will come back to the KHL where the rights to him belong to Ufa. And how [the club] handles those rights, it is up to Salavat Yulaev.”
– Here’s how Medvedev and Salavat Yulaev probably want this to play out: 1) Radulov plays the remainder of Nashville’s regular season. 2) Predators lose in the opening playoff round. 3) Radulov finishes the NHL postseason quickly enough to play for Russia at the 2012 IIHF World Championships. 4) He returns to the Salavat in the fall to defend his KHL scoring title.
– Here’s how Radulov probably wants this to play out: 1) Join the Preds, fulfill final year of contractual obligation to organization. 2) Become restricted free agent. 3) Return to KHL for a year, turn 27 (on July 5, 2013). 4) Become unrestricted free agent. 5) Sign big deal with any NHL suitor of his choosing, freed from the burden of RFA status.
– In light of this development, it’s not surprising Nashville GM David Poile’s statement was short on details. Do the Predators even want Radulov back under these circumstances?
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)