Mar 19, 2012, 5:41 PM EDT
From Puck Daddy/TSN contributor Dmitry Chesnokov, the latest from the Alex Radulov-to-Nashville saga:
– Here’s a quote from KHL President Alexander Medvedev (courtesy Puck Daddy):
“He [Radulov] does not intend to sign any long term contract with Nashville. Alexander will satisfy his old contract by playing the end of the regular season and the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Then he will become a restricted free agent in accordance with NHL rules. After that [when Radulov turns 27 and he becomes an unrestricted free agent] he will have a right to sign a contract with any NHL club.
“But we believe that next season Alexander will come back to the KHL where the rights to him belong to Ufa. And how [the club] handles those rights, it is up to Salavat Yulaev.”
– Here’s how Medvedev and Salavat Yulaev probably want this to play out: 1) Radulov plays the remainder of Nashville’s regular season. 2) Predators lose in the opening playoff round. 3) Radulov finishes the NHL postseason quickly enough to play for Russia at the 2012 IIHF World Championships. 4) He returns to the Salavat in the fall to defend his KHL scoring title.
– Here’s how Radulov probably wants this to play out: 1) Join the Preds, fulfill final year of contractual obligation to organization. 2) Become restricted free agent. 3) Return to KHL for a year, turn 27 (on July 5, 2013). 4) Become unrestricted free agent. 5) Sign big deal with any NHL suitor of his choosing, freed from the burden of RFA status.
– In light of this development, it’s not surprising Nashville GM David Poile’s statement was short on details. Do the Predators even want Radulov back under these circumstances?
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 6
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 8
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 16
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 27
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 19
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 61
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)