Mar 19, 2012, 8:59 PM EDT
This is the last time the New York Rangers and New Jersey Devils will meet this season, but if they face off in the playoffs, they won’t need to reach deep into the history of their rivalry to fuel some hate. The two teams’ coaches were jawing each other from the start and, as it turns out, for good reason. (Devils coach Peter DeBoer did a great job of capturing the hate.)
Three different fights took place three seconds into the game – totaling in 40 penalty minutes. You can witness the carnage in the video below, highlighted by the blood oozing from Ryan Carter‘s head:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
A history of violence
Dropping gloves off the bat isn’t exactly uncommon between these two teams. I looked back at the box scores to chart the history of violence in the season series, with an emphasis on early tussles.
Jan. 31 (at NJ): Pacifism!
Feb. 7 (at Madison Square Garden): Rupp, Janssen, Boulton and Prust dropped the gloves two seconds in.
Feb. 27 (at MSG): Pacifism – until the second period, when Clarkson, Boulton, Prust and Rupp mixed it up.
March 6 (at NJ): They took a little longer to “warm up” or get on the ice, as Carter and Dubinsky fought three minutes in and John Scott fought Cam Janssen midway through the first.
As you can see, early fights aren’t unusual – they’re practically like filing paperwork. Still, three fights at the three-second mark? That’s a heck of a finale.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)