Mar 19, 2012, 3:41 PM EDT
Tomorrow’s sentencing of Graham James won’t be televised. A Manitoba judge has denied the media’s request to put cameras in the courtroom to show the former hockey coach receive his punishment, reports the Canadian Press.
In December, James pleaded guilty to the sexual assault of Theoren Fleury and Todd Holt, both of whom he coached in the 1980s and ‘90s when they were teenagers in the WHL.
Judge Catherine Carlson said the case is “highly charged enough” and agreed with James’ lawyer that broadcasting his client’s current image – an image he’s managed to conceal – would violate his privacy and could pose a threat to his safety.
And while James’ well-being won’t be high on most people’s list of concerns, Carlson also worried cameras in the courtroom could dissuade sexual-assault victims from coming forward in the future.
“Indeed, it took Mr. Fleury and Mr. Holt many years to make the decision to disclose the offences that Mr. James committed against them,” she said. “If victims have to worry there may be a camera anywhere near the court proceedings, it is reasonable to expect they may not come forward. That would certainly impede the interests of the administration of justice.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)