Mar 19, 2012, 3:41 PM EDT
Tomorrow’s sentencing of Graham James won’t be televised. A Manitoba judge has denied the media’s request to put cameras in the courtroom to show the former hockey coach receive his punishment, reports the Canadian Press.
In December, James pleaded guilty to the sexual assault of Theoren Fleury and Todd Holt, both of whom he coached in the 1980s and ‘90s when they were teenagers in the WHL.
Judge Catherine Carlson said the case is “highly charged enough” and agreed with James’ lawyer that broadcasting his client’s current image – an image he’s managed to conceal – would violate his privacy and could pose a threat to his safety.
And while James’ well-being won’t be high on most people’s list of concerns, Carlson also worried cameras in the courtroom could dissuade sexual-assault victims from coming forward in the future.
“Indeed, it took Mr. Fleury and Mr. Holt many years to make the decision to disclose the offences that Mr. James committed against them,” she said. “If victims have to worry there may be a camera anywhere near the court proceedings, it is reasonable to expect they may not come forward. That would certainly impede the interests of the administration of justice.”
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)