Mar 19, 2012, 3:41 PM EST
Tomorrow’s sentencing of Graham James won’t be televised. A Manitoba judge has denied the media’s request to put cameras in the courtroom to show the former hockey coach receive his punishment, reports the Canadian Press.
In December, James pleaded guilty to the sexual assault of Theoren Fleury and Todd Holt, both of whom he coached in the 1980s and ‘90s when they were teenagers in the WHL.
Judge Catherine Carlson said the case is “highly charged enough” and agreed with James’ lawyer that broadcasting his client’s current image – an image he’s managed to conceal – would violate his privacy and could pose a threat to his safety.
And while James’ well-being won’t be high on most people’s list of concerns, Carlson also worried cameras in the courtroom could dissuade sexual-assault victims from coming forward in the future.
“Indeed, it took Mr. Fleury and Mr. Holt many years to make the decision to disclose the offences that Mr. James committed against them,” she said. “If victims have to worry there may be a camera anywhere near the court proceedings, it is reasonable to expect they may not come forward. That would certainly impede the interests of the administration of justice.”
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)