Mar 19, 2012, 12:04 PM EDT
There hasn’t been a lot of good news lately for the Detroit Red Wings, but seeing Nicklas Lidstrom on the ice this morning with the team had to give them a lift.
The Detroit Free Press reports that Lidstrom skated with the team for the first time since injuring his ankle in a game against Colorado three weeks ago. Without Lidstrom in the lineup the Red Wings have been slumping hard going 3-5-1 and struggling mightily on the power play.
Lidstrom tells Chuck Pleiness of the Macomb Daily that he’s feeling a lot better.
“I still look at it being day-to-day,” Lidstrom added. “Hopefully it continues to get better every day. I’m hoping (this skate) will help it and it’s not going to get worse from skating. I’m just hoping it’s going to get better day-by-day.”
Lidstrom says he’ll hit the ice again tomorrow and see how the ankle feels then. Lidstrom ideally would like to get back ahead of the playoffs to get some games in before the postseason starts. Going in cold could cause the Wings trouble as they appear headed for a first round playoff match-up with the Nashville Predators.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)