Mar 19, 2012, 12:04 PM EST
There hasn’t been a lot of good news lately for the Detroit Red Wings, but seeing Nicklas Lidstrom on the ice this morning with the team had to give them a lift.
The Detroit Free Press reports that Lidstrom skated with the team for the first time since injuring his ankle in a game against Colorado three weeks ago. Without Lidstrom in the lineup the Red Wings have been slumping hard going 3-5-1 and struggling mightily on the power play.
Lidstrom tells Chuck Pleiness of the Macomb Daily that he’s feeling a lot better.
“I still look at it being day-to-day,” Lidstrom added. “Hopefully it continues to get better every day. I’m hoping (this skate) will help it and it’s not going to get worse from skating. I’m just hoping it’s going to get better day-by-day.”
Lidstrom says he’ll hit the ice again tomorrow and see how the ankle feels then. Lidstrom ideally would like to get back ahead of the playoffs to get some games in before the postseason starts. Going in cold could cause the Wings trouble as they appear headed for a first round playoff match-up with the Nashville Predators.
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 26
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 14
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 75
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)