Mar 19, 2012, 12:04 PM EDT
There hasn’t been a lot of good news lately for the Detroit Red Wings, but seeing Nicklas Lidstrom on the ice this morning with the team had to give them a lift.
The Detroit Free Press reports that Lidstrom skated with the team for the first time since injuring his ankle in a game against Colorado three weeks ago. Without Lidstrom in the lineup the Red Wings have been slumping hard going 3-5-1 and struggling mightily on the power play.
Lidstrom tells Chuck Pleiness of the Macomb Daily that he’s feeling a lot better.
“I still look at it being day-to-day,” Lidstrom added. “Hopefully it continues to get better every day. I’m hoping (this skate) will help it and it’s not going to get worse from skating. I’m just hoping it’s going to get better day-by-day.”
Lidstrom says he’ll hit the ice again tomorrow and see how the ankle feels then. Lidstrom ideally would like to get back ahead of the playoffs to get some games in before the postseason starts. Going in cold could cause the Wings trouble as they appear headed for a first round playoff match-up with the Nashville Predators.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)