Mar 19, 2012, 12:04 PM EDT
There hasn’t been a lot of good news lately for the Detroit Red Wings, but seeing Nicklas Lidstrom on the ice this morning with the team had to give them a lift.
The Detroit Free Press reports that Lidstrom skated with the team for the first time since injuring his ankle in a game against Colorado three weeks ago. Without Lidstrom in the lineup the Red Wings have been slumping hard going 3-5-1 and struggling mightily on the power play.
Lidstrom tells Chuck Pleiness of the Macomb Daily that he’s feeling a lot better.
“I still look at it being day-to-day,” Lidstrom added. “Hopefully it continues to get better every day. I’m hoping (this skate) will help it and it’s not going to get worse from skating. I’m just hoping it’s going to get better day-by-day.”
Lidstrom says he’ll hit the ice again tomorrow and see how the ankle feels then. Lidstrom ideally would like to get back ahead of the playoffs to get some games in before the postseason starts. Going in cold could cause the Wings trouble as they appear headed for a first round playoff match-up with the Nashville Predators.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 0
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 8
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)