Mar 19, 2012, 11:23 AM EST
Winnipeg Jets fans have been loud and ruthless with their chants this season. They’ve taunted Ryan Miller (Silver medal!) , Alex Ovechkin (Crosby’s better!), and just about every other star that’s rolled through town.
Last night they gave it to Carolina’s Eric Staal by chanting “Jordan’s better!” at him saying his brother Jordan Staal is the superior of the four Staal boys. As it turns out, their best efforts to get under Eric’s skin only fired him up as he scored twice in helping the Hurricanes beat the Jets 4-3.
So how’d Staal feel about being taunted all night? He tells Chip Alexander of the News & Observer that he’s just fine with it.
“I enjoyed it,” Staal said of the game. “It’s our playoffs for us right now. It was that type of atmosphere and our guys responded with a great effort and great third period, and it was a good win. Our guys showed a lot of resilience.”
And about that chant?
“Jordan’s good but I don’t know if he’s better,” Eric said, smiling. “They probably regretted the chant as the game went on.”
Losing one of their few remaining home games while they’re in a hunt to get in the playoffs would be a good reason to be regretful. Hey, maybe Tanner Glass was right about having the fans chill out with the personal taunts.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2