Mar 19, 2012, 11:23 AM EDT
Winnipeg Jets fans have been loud and ruthless with their chants this season. They’ve taunted Ryan Miller (Silver medal!) , Alex Ovechkin (Crosby’s better!), and just about every other star that’s rolled through town.
Last night they gave it to Carolina’s Eric Staal by chanting “Jordan’s better!” at him saying his brother Jordan Staal is the superior of the four Staal boys. As it turns out, their best efforts to get under Eric’s skin only fired him up as he scored twice in helping the Hurricanes beat the Jets 4-3.
So how’d Staal feel about being taunted all night? He tells Chip Alexander of the News & Observer that he’s just fine with it.
“I enjoyed it,” Staal said of the game. “It’s our playoffs for us right now. It was that type of atmosphere and our guys responded with a great effort and great third period, and it was a good win. Our guys showed a lot of resilience.”
And about that chant?
“Jordan’s good but I don’t know if he’s better,” Eric said, smiling. “They probably regretted the chant as the game went on.”
Losing one of their few remaining home games while they’re in a hunt to get in the playoffs would be a good reason to be regretful. Hey, maybe Tanner Glass was right about having the fans chill out with the personal taunts.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)