Mar 19, 2012, 11:23 AM EDT
Winnipeg Jets fans have been loud and ruthless with their chants this season. They’ve taunted Ryan Miller (Silver medal!) , Alex Ovechkin (Crosby’s better!), and just about every other star that’s rolled through town.
Last night they gave it to Carolina’s Eric Staal by chanting “Jordan’s better!” at him saying his brother Jordan Staal is the superior of the four Staal boys. As it turns out, their best efforts to get under Eric’s skin only fired him up as he scored twice in helping the Hurricanes beat the Jets 4-3.
So how’d Staal feel about being taunted all night? He tells Chip Alexander of the News & Observer that he’s just fine with it.
“I enjoyed it,” Staal said of the game. “It’s our playoffs for us right now. It was that type of atmosphere and our guys responded with a great effort and great third period, and it was a good win. Our guys showed a lot of resilience.”
And about that chant?
“Jordan’s good but I don’t know if he’s better,” Eric said, smiling. “They probably regretted the chant as the game went on.”
Losing one of their few remaining home games while they’re in a hunt to get in the playoffs would be a good reason to be regretful. Hey, maybe Tanner Glass was right about having the fans chill out with the personal taunts.
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 4
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 27
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 27
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 25