Mar 19, 2012, 11:23 AM EST
Winnipeg Jets fans have been loud and ruthless with their chants this season. They’ve taunted Ryan Miller (Silver medal!) , Alex Ovechkin (Crosby’s better!), and just about every other star that’s rolled through town.
Last night they gave it to Carolina’s Eric Staal by chanting “Jordan’s better!” at him saying his brother Jordan Staal is the superior of the four Staal boys. As it turns out, their best efforts to get under Eric’s skin only fired him up as he scored twice in helping the Hurricanes beat the Jets 4-3.
So how’d Staal feel about being taunted all night? He tells Chip Alexander of the News & Observer that he’s just fine with it.
“I enjoyed it,” Staal said of the game. “It’s our playoffs for us right now. It was that type of atmosphere and our guys responded with a great effort and great third period, and it was a good win. Our guys showed a lot of resilience.”
And about that chant?
“Jordan’s good but I don’t know if he’s better,” Eric said, smiling. “They probably regretted the chant as the game went on.”
Losing one of their few remaining home games while they’re in a hunt to get in the playoffs would be a good reason to be regretful. Hey, maybe Tanner Glass was right about having the fans chill out with the personal taunts.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)