Mar 19, 2012, 6:09 PM EDT
A small disc fragment in Meszaros’ lower back will be removed in the procedure that, based on the timeline provided by the club, will keep him out of the lineup until at least the beginning of May. That would mean he’ll miss the first round of the playoffs and possibly more.
Meszaros averages over 20 minutes a game and is third among Philadelphia blue-liners with 25 points, so this is a significant loss that’s coupled with the fact Chris Pronger is out for the season.
Fortunately for the Flyers, general manager Paul Holmgren was able to acquire defensemen Pavel Kubina and Nicklas Grossman prior to the trade deadline. Otherwise they’d be seriously thin on the back end heading into the postseason.
Of note, Kubina remains day-to-day with an upper-body injury. And it would seem the club is being fairly tight-lipped about his status.
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 0
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 1
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112