Don’t tell Detroit that Ovechkin doesn’t have it anymore

Mar 19, 2012, 7:36 PM EDT

Alex Ovechkin AP

Detroit Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall told NHL.com’s Brian Hedger that he’s not convinced that there’s “a book” on Alex Ovechkin. From the sound of things, he’d gladly leaf through one if it existed:

Informed of a notion that there’s now a “book” on how to contain Ovechkin’s immense offensive talents, Kronwall chuckled.

“Really?” he said. “Be sure to send it this way.”

I’ve been venturing this argument for quite some time, but an interesting profile on Evgeni Malkin brings it up again: maybe Ovechkin is a little exhausted. In Michael Farber’s piece, he discusses the fact that Malkin seemed shamed by the relative slippage of his game last season, but one thing that didn’t get enough attention was that Geno faced some time away from hockey.

While Ovi professed a renewed appreciation for playing even in time lost from suspensions, he’s never had a great break after a letdown. Each summer, he’s gone straight to World Championship tournaments rather than resting – even with a knee injury hampering him in 2011.

Ovechkin can still be Ovechkin again – he might just need a palate cleanser.

(I mean, unless there really is a book on him – then he might want to flip the script.)

1. ravenscaps48 - Mar 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Still DEADLY on the Extra Man

2. modellforprez - Mar 19, 2012 at 9:10 PM

eI know I shouldn’t but ovi 1 kanovi the late “rip” greiht 8 is over. he will never get back to the old ovenchicken ever. he stopped takin steroids anderaizfzABQVKLWXTIAikDaoooAqq1awrcb that has had a adverse affect on his game which is suddenly gone bye bye toothless loser

• kitshky - Mar 20, 2012 at 2:46 AM

I couldn’t have said it better myself … particularly because I have no idea what you just said.

3. blastardo - Mar 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I think Ovi also needs an attitude change before anything else. Until he learns how to play with his team not much will change. Not having Backstrom doesn’t help the situation either.

4. blomfeld - Mar 20, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I’ve a suspicion that the above commentators have large “Liberace” record collections ? … don’t you ? At any rate, Ovechkin is a childish, b-grade, parasitic, tax-evading, leech who would do himself a favor by re-visiting what Russian hockey is meant to be all about …

Top 10 NHL Player Searches