Mar 19, 2012, 7:36 PM EDT
Detroit Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall told NHL.com’s Brian Hedger that he’s not convinced that there’s “a book” on Alex Ovechkin. From the sound of things, he’d gladly leaf through one if it existed:
Informed of a notion that there’s now a “book” on how to contain Ovechkin’s immense offensive talents, Kronwall chuckled.
“Really?” he said. “Be sure to send it this way.”
I’ve been venturing this argument for quite some time, but an interesting profile on Evgeni Malkin brings it up again: maybe Ovechkin is a little exhausted. In Michael Farber’s piece, he discusses the fact that Malkin seemed shamed by the relative slippage of his game last season, but one thing that didn’t get enough attention was that Geno faced some time away from hockey.
While Ovi professed a renewed appreciation for playing even in time lost from suspensions, he’s never had a great break after a letdown. Each summer, he’s gone straight to World Championship tournaments rather than resting – even with a knee injury hampering him in 2011.
Ovechkin can still be Ovechkin again – he might just need a palate cleanser.
(I mean, unless there really is a book on him – then he might want to flip the script.)
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 6
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 34
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)