Mar 19, 2012, 7:36 PM EDT
Detroit Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall told NHL.com’s Brian Hedger that he’s not convinced that there’s “a book” on Alex Ovechkin. From the sound of things, he’d gladly leaf through one if it existed:
Informed of a notion that there’s now a “book” on how to contain Ovechkin’s immense offensive talents, Kronwall chuckled.
“Really?” he said. “Be sure to send it this way.”
I’ve been venturing this argument for quite some time, but an interesting profile on Evgeni Malkin brings it up again: maybe Ovechkin is a little exhausted. In Michael Farber’s piece, he discusses the fact that Malkin seemed shamed by the relative slippage of his game last season, but one thing that didn’t get enough attention was that Geno faced some time away from hockey.
While Ovi professed a renewed appreciation for playing even in time lost from suspensions, he’s never had a great break after a letdown. Each summer, he’s gone straight to World Championship tournaments rather than resting – even with a knee injury hampering him in 2011.
Ovechkin can still be Ovechkin again – he might just need a palate cleanser.
(I mean, unless there really is a book on him – then he might want to flip the script.)
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 2
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)