Mar 19, 2012, 7:36 PM EDT
Detroit Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall told NHL.com’s Brian Hedger that he’s not convinced that there’s “a book” on Alex Ovechkin. From the sound of things, he’d gladly leaf through one if it existed:
Informed of a notion that there’s now a “book” on how to contain Ovechkin’s immense offensive talents, Kronwall chuckled.
“Really?” he said. “Be sure to send it this way.”
I’ve been venturing this argument for quite some time, but an interesting profile on Evgeni Malkin brings it up again: maybe Ovechkin is a little exhausted. In Michael Farber’s piece, he discusses the fact that Malkin seemed shamed by the relative slippage of his game last season, but one thing that didn’t get enough attention was that Geno faced some time away from hockey.
While Ovi professed a renewed appreciation for playing even in time lost from suspensions, he’s never had a great break after a letdown. Each summer, he’s gone straight to World Championship tournaments rather than resting – even with a knee injury hampering him in 2011.
Ovechkin can still be Ovechkin again – he might just need a palate cleanser.
(I mean, unless there really is a book on him – then he might want to flip the script.)
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)