Mar 19, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT
The Devils and Rangers have played each other five times over the last three months, with game No. 6 going tonight at Madison Square Garden.
And — as the old saying goes — familiarity has bred contempt.
That’s the message from New Jersey head coach Peter DeBoer as his troops look to beat the Blueshirts for the fourth time this season.
“I think there’s a genuine dislike there,” DeBoer told the Star-Ledger about how his team feels about the Rangers. “And that all adds to the environment.”
“The environment, I think, it will be a welcome emotional boost for us to be ready to play. I think it’s great for hockey and for this time of year.”
There’s no shortage of rivalries heading into tonight’s affair.
All of which explains why there have been 16 fighting majors over the course of the season series.
“It’s a motivated game, heightened intensity and that’s the same from their side,” Patrik Elias said. “We know where they’re at in the standings and we’re still trying to buckle down on our game.
“It should be exciting.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 7
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 17
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)