Mar 19, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT
The Devils and Rangers have played each other five times over the last three months, with game No. 6 going tonight at Madison Square Garden.
And — as the old saying goes — familiarity has bred contempt.
That’s the message from New Jersey head coach Peter DeBoer as his troops look to beat the Blueshirts for the fourth time this season.
“I think there’s a genuine dislike there,” DeBoer told the Star-Ledger about how his team feels about the Rangers. “And that all adds to the environment.”
“The environment, I think, it will be a welcome emotional boost for us to be ready to play. I think it’s great for hockey and for this time of year.”
There’s no shortage of rivalries heading into tonight’s affair.
All of which explains why there have been 16 fighting majors over the course of the season series.
“It’s a motivated game, heightened intensity and that’s the same from their side,” Patrik Elias said. “We know where they’re at in the standings and we’re still trying to buckle down on our game.
“It should be exciting.”
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)