Mar 19, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT
The Devils and Rangers have played each other five times over the last three months, with game No. 6 going tonight at Madison Square Garden.
And — as the old saying goes — familiarity has bred contempt.
That’s the message from New Jersey head coach Peter DeBoer as his troops look to beat the Blueshirts for the fourth time this season.
“I think there’s a genuine dislike there,” DeBoer told the Star-Ledger about how his team feels about the Rangers. “And that all adds to the environment.”
“The environment, I think, it will be a welcome emotional boost for us to be ready to play. I think it’s great for hockey and for this time of year.”
There’s no shortage of rivalries heading into tonight’s affair.
All of which explains why there have been 16 fighting majors over the course of the season series.
“It’s a motivated game, heightened intensity and that’s the same from their side,” Patrik Elias said. “We know where they’re at in the standings and we’re still trying to buckle down on our game.
“It should be exciting.”
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 10
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 22
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 23
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 11
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 76
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 24
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 57
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (79)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT