Mar 18, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
Often when a team’s captain goes out of the lineup, they’ll fall into a funk. Losing a leader can make that happen. In Chicago, Jonathan Toews‘ concussion has him out of action but it’s opened the door for Patrick Kane to step up in a big way.
“I’ve been telling him for a couple weeks now that he’s surprised me in raising his game,” Mayers continued. “He’s skating the best he’s ever skated. And you add his vision and awareness on the ice and he has the opportunity to be the best player on the ice every night.”
It’s nice to have a wealth of riches like that and Kane stepping up as big as he has lately makes life a lot easier.
Kane heads into tonight’s game against the Capitals on a four-game points streak with two goals and four assists in that span. In the 12 games Toews has missed, Kane has put up nine points all while Chicago has gone 7-4-1 in that span. Not a bad run for a guy you wouldn’t expect to jump into a leadership role.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)