Mar 18, 2012, 5:25 PM EDT
There’s no question that David Backes is one tough guy. Seeing him felled last night against the Lightning thanks to blocking a shot was stunning considering Backes has played in 185 straight games. Having that streak put in doubt is scary for Blues fans as the playoffs approach, but there’s good news.
Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Backes’ foot isn’t broken and that coach Ken Hitchcock isn’t too worried about him possibly missing time.
“It’s day-to-day, week-to-week,” Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said. “It’s all based on pain tolerance. These things hopefully heal real quick. It’s not a big deal, but it isn’t like it’s a long-term injury.”
The Blues have been managing just fine with a handful of other injuries this season. Alex Steen, Matt D’Agostini, Kris Russell, and Jason Arnott are all dealing with different issues but the Blues keep winning in spite of that. Backes getting banged up thanks to getting in front of a shot is unfortunate but he’s also apparently made of steel if he winds up not missing any time.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)