Mar 18, 2012, 5:25 PM EDT
There’s no question that David Backes is one tough guy. Seeing him felled last night against the Lightning thanks to blocking a shot was stunning considering Backes has played in 185 straight games. Having that streak put in doubt is scary for Blues fans as the playoffs approach, but there’s good news.
Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Backes’ foot isn’t broken and that coach Ken Hitchcock isn’t too worried about him possibly missing time.
“It’s day-to-day, week-to-week,” Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said. “It’s all based on pain tolerance. These things hopefully heal real quick. It’s not a big deal, but it isn’t like it’s a long-term injury.”
The Blues have been managing just fine with a handful of other injuries this season. Alex Steen, Matt D’Agostini, Kris Russell, and Jason Arnott are all dealing with different issues but the Blues keep winning in spite of that. Backes getting banged up thanks to getting in front of a shot is unfortunate but he’s also apparently made of steel if he winds up not missing any time.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 23
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)