Mar 18, 2012, 4:37 PM EDT
You can understand why Caps forward Marcus Johansson might be a bit confused about how the league works. After seeing Winnipeg’s Mark Stuart get slapped with a $2,500 fine for his late, head-high hit on him, Johansson was left wondering just what’s going on.
Tarik El-Bashir of the Washington Post hears from Johansson about his disappointment with the league’s lack of suspension for what on all appearances looked to be the kind of hit they want to eliminate from the game.
“It’s not really my thing to have any impact on it,” Johansson said after the morning skate at United Center. “But seeing [Mike Green] and [Alex Ovechkin] get three games for something that’s pretty similar, I think it’s weird.”
Weird is a good way to describe it when you don’t want to get the league’s attention for criticizing their decision. After seeing the kinds of hits his teammates have gotten nailed for, Johansson makes a good point.
The suspensions given to Green and Ovechkin involved plays that were eerily similar to what Stuart did. You could argue that it’s Stuart’s first offense and he shouldn’t get the same treatment, but Green was given three games on his first offense. And you wonder why Brendan Shanahan’s job is the hardest one in the league.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (84)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)