Mar 18, 2012, 7:01 PM EDT
If you wanted to come up with reasons why this might be Jochen Hecht’s last season, you would definitely be able to generate a few compelling arguments. Hecht will be 35 in June, is in the last season of his contract, and is currently in the process of recovering from his third concussion in roughly a year.
Still, it might not surprise you to learn that Hecht doesn’t want his career to end just yet.
“No,” Hecht said. “I don’t feel like I’m done.”
Hecht has been a solid contributor for years with the Buffalo Sabres, but given his age and his recent injury history, it might be a little tricky for him to get a new contract. If the Sabres don’t re-sign him, then Hecht might be one of those players that get lost in the early days of the free agency period where teams scramble to address the vast majority of their needs. That’s not to say that he can’t or won’t get a new contract, but in my mind he’s not a lock to start the 2012-13 campaign with an NHL squad.
It would help his cause if he’s able to return before the Sabres’ season is over in order to demonstrate that he’s at least entering the summer healthy. Unfortunately, Hecht isn’t likely to be ready to return before the end of the regular season, so the Sabres will probably have to make the playoffs in order for him to get any more ice time before the summer.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)