Mar 17, 2012, 1:44 PM EST
As you know, the Columbus Blue Jackets have been pretty awful this year and part of that misery has been the brutal play of starting goalie Steve Mason.
Would you believe that Mason’s poor play may have resulted because he was wearing pads that were too small? It’s true according to Shawn Mitchell of The Columbus Dispatch, and Mason’s reasons for not wearing fitting pads are unreal.
“I never knew I could,” Mason said. “If I knew, I would have done it three years ago. I guess I was a little out of the loop on that kind of stuff. But we’ll make it work now.”
Mason says the old pads would leave him with bruises after getting hit with pucks in the ribs so often. Picture that if you will, playing goal with padding too small leaving more gaps in coverage to get hit by pucks being shot at 90-100 miles-per-hour at you. You might be pretty awful in goal too if your job was abusing you that way.
Not surprisingly, Mason’s numbers have improved since switching to the new equipment. Since making the switch he’s gone 7-3-1 and his numbers are more befitting that of a starting NHL goalie. If Mason can close out the season as strong as he’s playing now, it makes you wonder what might’ve been had he been more on top of things from the get go.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 2
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 15
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 107
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (108)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)