Mar 17, 2012, 1:44 PM EDT
As you know, the Columbus Blue Jackets have been pretty awful this year and part of that misery has been the brutal play of starting goalie Steve Mason.
Would you believe that Mason’s poor play may have resulted because he was wearing pads that were too small? It’s true according to Shawn Mitchell of The Columbus Dispatch, and Mason’s reasons for not wearing fitting pads are unreal.
“I never knew I could,” Mason said. “If I knew, I would have done it three years ago. I guess I was a little out of the loop on that kind of stuff. But we’ll make it work now.”
Mason says the old pads would leave him with bruises after getting hit with pucks in the ribs so often. Picture that if you will, playing goal with padding too small leaving more gaps in coverage to get hit by pucks being shot at 90-100 miles-per-hour at you. You might be pretty awful in goal too if your job was abusing you that way.
Not surprisingly, Mason’s numbers have improved since switching to the new equipment. Since making the switch he’s gone 7-3-1 and his numbers are more befitting that of a starting NHL goalie. If Mason can close out the season as strong as he’s playing now, it makes you wonder what might’ve been had he been more on top of things from the get go.
- Report: Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 15
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 9
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 3
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 25
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)