Mar 17, 2012, 6:22 PM EST
It’s good to be Shawn Thornton in Boston. He’s a cult hero thanks to his ability to stand up for his teammates and to hand opponents their lunch with his fists. Now he’ll get to keep being a fan favorite there for two more years.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that Thornton will sign a two-year extension, and CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty confirms that the deal is worth $2.2 million. That puts him on the books at a $1.1 million cap hit over that span. Thornton isn’t exactly an offensive weapon in Boston, but his work as an energy line player as well as keeper of the peace on the ice has made him invaluable to the Bruins.
Thornton was due to be an unrestricted free agent after this season, but with the way he’s ingratiated himself with the Bruins and Boston fans in general, there was no way he was leaving town. Getting a nice raise on top of the time commitment makes for a nice bonus.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11