Mar 17, 2012, 6:22 PM EDT
It’s good to be Shawn Thornton in Boston. He’s a cult hero thanks to his ability to stand up for his teammates and to hand opponents their lunch with his fists. Now he’ll get to keep being a fan favorite there for two more years.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that Thornton will sign a two-year extension, and CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty confirms that the deal is worth $2.2 million. That puts him on the books at a $1.1 million cap hit over that span. Thornton isn’t exactly an offensive weapon in Boston, but his work as an energy line player as well as keeper of the peace on the ice has made him invaluable to the Bruins.
Thornton was due to be an unrestricted free agent after this season, but with the way he’s ingratiated himself with the Bruins and Boston fans in general, there was no way he was leaving town. Getting a nice raise on top of the time commitment makes for a nice bonus.
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 6
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 29
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 43
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 33
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 27
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 53
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41