Mar 17, 2012, 6:55 PM EST
Lightning GM Steve Yzerman is taking a creative route to give his team some goaltending help.
Damian Cristodero reports that Tampa Bay will sign former Penguins goalie Sebastien Caron out of Germany and have him team up with Dwayne Roloson in the Lightning net. Caron will have to clear re-entry waivers first, however, much in the same way Marty Turco did when the Bruins signed him a couple weeks ago.
Caron was last in the NHL in the 2006-07 season with the Anaheim Ducks. Since then, he’s played in both the Swiss and German pro leagues. With Caron likely to join the Lightning, young goalie Dustin Tokarski will head back to the AHL and rejoin the Norfolk Admirals who are in the midst of a 17-game winning streak.
Bringing Caron in isn’t likely a move to help the Lightning make a push at the playoffs and is more likely to be a move to allow Tokarski to get back to the minor leagues and do his on-the-job learning there.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 30
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 35
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 80
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)