Mar 17, 2012, 9:18 PM EDT
Don Cherry has said some interesting things lately. He’s clashed with Leafs GM Brian Burke, scolded the Toronto Maple Leafs for not having Ontario-born players on their active roster, and explained why he thought Saskatoon could be home to an NHL team.
Sometimes his commentary is fun, sometimes it’s bizarre, but he certainly has his supporters as well as detractors. Now, according to reports, that might all be slowly coming to an end as CBC deals with pressure to muzzle him.
Reportedly, it’s not just Burke that’s unhappy with Cherry at this point and CBC might end up overhauling their popular Coach’s Corner segment and perhaps Hockey Night in Canada in general. Such a move might be seen as a way to modernize the show and shift the focus away from Cherry, but doing so would be a significant gamble. Like Cherry or hate him, he knows how to draw a crowd and any move to marginalize and move past Cherry might hurt them in the ratings game. On the flip side, a successful transition will eventually be necessary in the long run.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)