Mar 17, 2012, 12:11 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Dodgers franchise dealt with a massive, ugly headache thanks to ex-owner Frank McCourt’s massive, ugly divorce. It’s hard to imagine any NHL team facing that much owner drama, but one of the Vancouver Canucks’ owners could face something close to it with his pending split.
Cloudiness regarding the Canucks
There’s talk that Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini’s squabble with long-time wife Taliah might affect his stake with the team. The Vancouver Province passes along his denial of those rumors, however, as Aquilini even used the Gary Bettman-approved phrase “business as usual” when discussing the impact (or lack thereof) on the Canucks.
Aquilini’s company owns both the Canucks and Rogers Arena, but as The Globe & Mail’s David Ebner reports, Francesco’s exact stake isn’t clear. That marks at least one obvious difference between the Canucks’ case and the Dodgers’ debacle off the bat, as TEAM 1040 points out that Frank McCourt held the “title directly.”
Confused yet? That’s OK, as it seems this story is in the early (aka “smoke screen”) stages.
It’s unclear if Francesco Aquilini is correct in saying that the Canucks aren’t in play in the divorce, but either way, this could be a distraction for the team – or at least fans and the media.
Then again, with all the chaos the franchise has endured – from riots to Roberto Luongo – this ordeal might just seem like a new flavor of weird.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 10
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 8
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 33
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)