Mar 17, 2012, 10:12 PM EDT
All season the Pittsburgh Penguins have shown they can excel even without their superstar captain, Sidney Crosby. They were on a nine-game winning streak before Crosby’s return – but that doesn’t mean they aren’t grateful to have him back. Crosby immediately made his mark with two assists, including one that was awarded to him after the fact, in his return and another three assists in Saturday’s game. His performance has reinforced the notion that, when they’re at full strength, the Penguins should be regarded as a serious Stanley Cup contender.
Odds are that the Philadelphia Flyers would like to prove that they’re more than capable of beating the Penguins, regardless of Crosby’s status. They’ll get the chance to do just that on Sunday (12:30 pm ET, NBC). Philadelphia currently has a 2-1 series lead, but Crosby didn’t play in any of those contests. To make matters more difficult for the Flyers, they’ll have to compete against them without a couple of key players, including Chris Pronger, who is out for the rest of the season with a concussion. Fortunately for Philadelphia, like the Penguins, they have demonstrated that they can find ways to win even under less than ideal circumstances.
This game will be a matchup between two of the NHL’s league leaders in points, Evgeni Malkin and Claude Giroux, plus an extended cast of skilled forwards and offensive defensemen. That being said, depending on the goaltending matchup, this might not be a high-scoring game. Pittsburgh’s Marc-Andre Fleury is on a nine-game winning streak and Philadelphia’s Ilya Bryzgalov has been even hotter lately. Although Bryzgalov suffered his first loss since Feb. 28 on Saturday, he’s less than a week removed from establishing a new franchise record for consecutive shutout minutes.
This is the first of three meetings between the Flyers and Penguins in the final three weeks of the season. With the two teams currently occupying the fourth and fifth seeds in the Eastern Conference, it’s entirely possible that these upcoming contests will serve as the setup for a first round series between the bitter rivals.
Apr 17, 2014, 1:19 AM EDT
A Tyler Seguin bullet, no less.
Apr 17, 2014, 1:08 AM EDT
A tale of two games, really.
Apr 17, 2014, 12:52 AM EDT
“We did it time and time again.”
Apr 17, 2014, 12:26 AM EDT
“It’s one that got by him.”
Apr 17, 2014, 12:03 AM EDT
The trio was big in Wednesday’s Game 1 victory over the Jackets.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:23 PM EDT
It’s bad enough to inspire Jon Cooper’s pity, though.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
“We aren’t here just to go to school. We’re here to win.”
Apr 16, 2014, 10:41 PM EDT
After all that star power in regulation …
Apr 16, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
Pittsburgh scores three unanswered goals to win.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
The West’s No. 1 seed takes on the final wild card qualifier.
Apr 16, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
Did the Penguins deserve a power play or penalty shot?
Apr 16, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
Get used to these stories of toughness.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
Updated with bonus goals for your enjoyment.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Tomas Plekanec spoils Tampa Bay’s lead.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
In case there was any doubt.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
Unproven goalie vs. a gold-medal goalie in Game 1.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
A battle between a scrappy underdog and a perplexing favorite.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
A little less grit against the Anaheim Ducks.
Apr 16, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
Not Brandon Pirri.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
“He gives us the best chance to win, so he’ll be the one starting.”
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)