Mar 17, 2012, 2:49 PM EDT
Jeff Skinner isn’t the kind of player you see getting into too much trouble. Seeing him get nailed with a two-game suspension for kicking St. Louis’ Scott Nichol, however, can make you wonder just what was going through his head.
You’ll all be happy to know that Skinner didn’t mean to hurt Nichol by kicking at his leg while down on the ice. Chip Alexander from the News & Observer hears it from an apparently apologetic Skinner.
“I knew there was a chance I would get something for it,” Skinner told N&O correspondent Javier Serna before the team’s game against the Wild. “It obviously doesn’t look good. From my standpoint, I’m just trying to push off. There’s no intent there. It is a dangerous play. I understand that.”
Skinner is earning a bit of a tough reputation this season as he was accused of slew footing Washington’s Dmitry Orlov just two weeks ago and Brendan Shanahan said he’d warned Skinner about dangerous play just 24 hours before his game against St. Louis where he kicked Nichol.
Don’t let the baby face fool you, that Skinner is a killer!
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)