Mar 17, 2012, 12:57 PM EDT
While there’s no update about what’s going on with the Phoenix Coyotes and whether or not they’ll be back in the desert next season, that’s not stopping Coyotes GM Don Maloney from holding out hope.
Maloney spoke with Sarah McLellan of the Arizona Republic and commented about how there isn’t any news about potential new ownership. He also thinks that if there’s bad news to come, it won’t be coming out before the Coyotes’ season is done.
“If there was any negative news, I don’t think we’re going to hear it until we’re done playing this year,” Maloney said. “I still remain optimistic that the team can remain in Phoenix. I’m going to believe that until somebody tells me that’s not going to happen.”
For the last three years no one has told him that it’s over with, but with a very hazy summer on the way for the franchise doubts are creeping in again about whether or not the Coyotes will be sticking around. The one thing working in their favor for sticking around for at least another year is the fact there’s nowhere really ready to take the team.
Of course with Quebecor in Canada being itchy to own a team and the possibility that the City of Glendale might not want to keep fronting for financial losses, this season shapes up again to potentially be the Coyotes last one in Arizona.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 22
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)