Mar 17, 2012, 12:57 PM EDT
While there’s no update about what’s going on with the Phoenix Coyotes and whether or not they’ll be back in the desert next season, that’s not stopping Coyotes GM Don Maloney from holding out hope.
Maloney spoke with Sarah McLellan of the Arizona Republic and commented about how there isn’t any news about potential new ownership. He also thinks that if there’s bad news to come, it won’t be coming out before the Coyotes’ season is done.
“If there was any negative news, I don’t think we’re going to hear it until we’re done playing this year,” Maloney said. “I still remain optimistic that the team can remain in Phoenix. I’m going to believe that until somebody tells me that’s not going to happen.”
For the last three years no one has told him that it’s over with, but with a very hazy summer on the way for the franchise doubts are creeping in again about whether or not the Coyotes will be sticking around. The one thing working in their favor for sticking around for at least another year is the fact there’s nowhere really ready to take the team.
Of course with Quebecor in Canada being itchy to own a team and the possibility that the City of Glendale might not want to keep fronting for financial losses, this season shapes up again to potentially be the Coyotes last one in Arizona.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)