Mar 17, 2012, 12:57 PM EDT
While there’s no update about what’s going on with the Phoenix Coyotes and whether or not they’ll be back in the desert next season, that’s not stopping Coyotes GM Don Maloney from holding out hope.
Maloney spoke with Sarah McLellan of the Arizona Republic and commented about how there isn’t any news about potential new ownership. He also thinks that if there’s bad news to come, it won’t be coming out before the Coyotes’ season is done.
“If there was any negative news, I don’t think we’re going to hear it until we’re done playing this year,” Maloney said. “I still remain optimistic that the team can remain in Phoenix. I’m going to believe that until somebody tells me that’s not going to happen.”
For the last three years no one has told him that it’s over with, but with a very hazy summer on the way for the franchise doubts are creeping in again about whether or not the Coyotes will be sticking around. The one thing working in their favor for sticking around for at least another year is the fact there’s nowhere really ready to take the team.
Of course with Quebecor in Canada being itchy to own a team and the possibility that the City of Glendale might not want to keep fronting for financial losses, this season shapes up again to potentially be the Coyotes last one in Arizona.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)