Mar 17, 2012, 12:57 PM EST
While there’s no update about what’s going on with the Phoenix Coyotes and whether or not they’ll be back in the desert next season, that’s not stopping Coyotes GM Don Maloney from holding out hope.
Maloney spoke with Sarah McLellan of the Arizona Republic and commented about how there isn’t any news about potential new ownership. He also thinks that if there’s bad news to come, it won’t be coming out before the Coyotes’ season is done.
“If there was any negative news, I don’t think we’re going to hear it until we’re done playing this year,” Maloney said. “I still remain optimistic that the team can remain in Phoenix. I’m going to believe that until somebody tells me that’s not going to happen.”
For the last three years no one has told him that it’s over with, but with a very hazy summer on the way for the franchise doubts are creeping in again about whether or not the Coyotes will be sticking around. The one thing working in their favor for sticking around for at least another year is the fact there’s nowhere really ready to take the team.
Of course with Quebecor in Canada being itchy to own a team and the possibility that the City of Glendale might not want to keep fronting for financial losses, this season shapes up again to potentially be the Coyotes last one in Arizona.
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 4
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 10
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)