Mar 17, 2012, 12:57 PM EST
While there’s no update about what’s going on with the Phoenix Coyotes and whether or not they’ll be back in the desert next season, that’s not stopping Coyotes GM Don Maloney from holding out hope.
Maloney spoke with Sarah McLellan of the Arizona Republic and commented about how there isn’t any news about potential new ownership. He also thinks that if there’s bad news to come, it won’t be coming out before the Coyotes’ season is done.
“If there was any negative news, I don’t think we’re going to hear it until we’re done playing this year,” Maloney said. “I still remain optimistic that the team can remain in Phoenix. I’m going to believe that until somebody tells me that’s not going to happen.”
For the last three years no one has told him that it’s over with, but with a very hazy summer on the way for the franchise doubts are creeping in again about whether or not the Coyotes will be sticking around. The one thing working in their favor for sticking around for at least another year is the fact there’s nowhere really ready to take the team.
Of course with Quebecor in Canada being itchy to own a team and the possibility that the City of Glendale might not want to keep fronting for financial losses, this season shapes up again to potentially be the Coyotes last one in Arizona.
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 5
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 60
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 31
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 61
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)