Mar 17, 2012, 8:50 PM EDT
David Clarkson saw Martin Brodeur lying on the ice with a little more than four minutes left in the third period of Pittsburgh’s 5-2 victory against New Jersey. Thinking Evgeni Malkin was responsible, Clarkson defended his goaltender, even though it meant taking a pair of two-minute minors for unsportsmanlike conduct and roughing in addition to a 10-minute misconduct. As it turns out, Clarkson might have gotten fired up over a misunderstanding.
“Marty kind of held onto it a little bit longer, I tried to cut inside and got in his way,” New Jersey’s Bryce Salvador said. “There was no room. I know I got a piece of Marty. I think it was me (not Malkin). At the end of the day I shouldn’t be there.”
It was all-in-all a bad afternoon for Brodeur. He took a shot to the face earlier in the game which broke his retro mask, to say nothing of the fact that he allowed five goals on a staggering 44 shots.
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 3
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 22
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 83
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 38
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 71
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 62
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7