Mar 16, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT
Vancouver’s lost four of five, its only win coming last Thursday when Schneider started against Winnipeg.
Luongo, on the other hand, allowed 16 goals in the four losses — all of which he started — while registering a lowly save percentage of .846.
Wednesday he surrendered five goals in a 5-4 home loss to the Coyotes.
All of which begs the question, what if Schneider plays well against the Jackets and the Canucks get the win?
“If I went in [Saturday] and played one game, then came out again, I wouldn’t be surprised,” Schneider said. “But if I went in and played a good game and got to play the next two or three, I wouldn’t be surprised, either. I think I’ve learned this year to be ready.”
He added: “Nothing against Lou – I think he’ll be fine and will be the goalie we’ve seen for 90 per cent of the season. But if it happens that we need to string a few together and I’m the guy, I’ll be ready.”
The Canucks needed Schneider to string a few together in October and November when Luongo was hurt – and when the backup kept winning, coach Alain Vigneault rode the No. 2 even after the No. 1 was healthy enough to play again.
But it’s not early in the season anymore – the playoffs are less than a month away. So you can see how this could get awkward.
The fact is, Schneider’s numbers (.932 SV%, 2.09 GAA) are considerably better than Luongo’s (.916 SV%, 2.48 GAA). And though Schneider, 25, doesn’t have near as much playoff experience, you could easily argue he gives the Canucks the best chance to win.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63