Mar 16, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT
Vancouver’s lost four of five, its only win coming last Thursday when Schneider started against Winnipeg.
Luongo, on the other hand, allowed 16 goals in the four losses — all of which he started — while registering a lowly save percentage of .846.
Wednesday he surrendered five goals in a 5-4 home loss to the Coyotes.
All of which begs the question, what if Schneider plays well against the Jackets and the Canucks get the win?
“If I went in [Saturday] and played one game, then came out again, I wouldn’t be surprised,” Schneider said. “But if I went in and played a good game and got to play the next two or three, I wouldn’t be surprised, either. I think I’ve learned this year to be ready.”
He added: “Nothing against Lou – I think he’ll be fine and will be the goalie we’ve seen for 90 per cent of the season. But if it happens that we need to string a few together and I’m the guy, I’ll be ready.”
The Canucks needed Schneider to string a few together in October and November when Luongo was hurt – and when the backup kept winning, coach Alain Vigneault rode the No. 2 even after the No. 1 was healthy enough to play again.
But it’s not early in the season anymore – the playoffs are less than a month away. So you can see how this could get awkward.
The fact is, Schneider’s numbers (.932 SV%, 2.09 GAA) are considerably better than Luongo’s (.916 SV%, 2.48 GAA). And though Schneider, 25, doesn’t have near as much playoff experience, you could easily argue he gives the Canucks the best chance to win.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 0
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 4
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)