Mar 16, 2012, 5:31 PM EST
Vancouver’s lost four of five, its only win coming last Thursday when Schneider started against Winnipeg.
Luongo, on the other hand, allowed 16 goals in the four losses — all of which he started — while registering a lowly save percentage of .846.
Wednesday he surrendered five goals in a 5-4 home loss to the Coyotes.
All of which begs the question, what if Schneider plays well against the Jackets and the Canucks get the win?
“If I went in [Saturday] and played one game, then came out again, I wouldn’t be surprised,” Schneider said. “But if I went in and played a good game and got to play the next two or three, I wouldn’t be surprised, either. I think I’ve learned this year to be ready.”
He added: “Nothing against Lou – I think he’ll be fine and will be the goalie we’ve seen for 90 per cent of the season. But if it happens that we need to string a few together and I’m the guy, I’ll be ready.”
The Canucks needed Schneider to string a few together in October and November when Luongo was hurt – and when the backup kept winning, coach Alain Vigneault rode the No. 2 even after the No. 1 was healthy enough to play again.
But it’s not early in the season anymore – the playoffs are less than a month away. So you can see how this could get awkward.
The fact is, Schneider’s numbers (.932 SV%, 2.09 GAA) are considerably better than Luongo’s (.916 SV%, 2.48 GAA). And though Schneider, 25, doesn’t have near as much playoff experience, you could easily argue he gives the Canucks the best chance to win.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)