Mar 16, 2012, 5:31 PM EST
Vancouver’s lost four of five, its only win coming last Thursday when Schneider started against Winnipeg.
Luongo, on the other hand, allowed 16 goals in the four losses — all of which he started — while registering a lowly save percentage of .846.
Wednesday he surrendered five goals in a 5-4 home loss to the Coyotes.
All of which begs the question, what if Schneider plays well against the Jackets and the Canucks get the win?
“If I went in [Saturday] and played one game, then came out again, I wouldn’t be surprised,” Schneider said. “But if I went in and played a good game and got to play the next two or three, I wouldn’t be surprised, either. I think I’ve learned this year to be ready.”
He added: “Nothing against Lou – I think he’ll be fine and will be the goalie we’ve seen for 90 per cent of the season. But if it happens that we need to string a few together and I’m the guy, I’ll be ready.”
The Canucks needed Schneider to string a few together in October and November when Luongo was hurt – and when the backup kept winning, coach Alain Vigneault rode the No. 2 even after the No. 1 was healthy enough to play again.
But it’s not early in the season anymore – the playoffs are less than a month away. So you can see how this could get awkward.
The fact is, Schneider’s numbers (.932 SV%, 2.09 GAA) are considerably better than Luongo’s (.916 SV%, 2.48 GAA). And though Schneider, 25, doesn’t have near as much playoff experience, you could easily argue he gives the Canucks the best chance to win.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)