Mar 16, 2012, 10:53 AM EST
Five players from each team in the NHL were asked to pick the top five players in the league. With those results, The Hockey News was able to compile a Top 50 list. The fact that Sidney Crosby ranked number one almost goes without saying, but some might be a little surprised by the fact that Pavel Datsyuk was selected as the league’s second best player.
Datsyuk won’t beat guys like Steven Stamkos or Evgeni Malkin is a scoring race, but he has a reputation for doing everything. Datsyuk is a three-time winner the Frank J. Selke Trophy, which goes to the best forward defensively. That’s in addition to averaging nearly a point per game over the course of his career.
The NHL’s current leader in points, Malkin, finished sixth overall.
Nicklas Lidstrom was selected as the best defenseman and the seventh-best player overall.
Henrik Lundqvist was named the top goaltender and 13th overall.
One of the most noteworthy snubs was John Tavares, who has broken out this season with 70 points in 71 games, but didn’t even make the top 50. Think Tavares should have been on the list? Would you have ranked Datsyuk over the likes of Malkin, Stamkos, and Giroux?
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)