Mar 16, 2012, 10:53 AM EDT
Five players from each team in the NHL were asked to pick the top five players in the league. With those results, The Hockey News was able to compile a Top 50 list. The fact that Sidney Crosby ranked number one almost goes without saying, but some might be a little surprised by the fact that Pavel Datsyuk was selected as the league’s second best player.
Datsyuk won’t beat guys like Steven Stamkos or Evgeni Malkin is a scoring race, but he has a reputation for doing everything. Datsyuk is a three-time winner the Frank J. Selke Trophy, which goes to the best forward defensively. That’s in addition to averaging nearly a point per game over the course of his career.
The NHL’s current leader in points, Malkin, finished sixth overall.
Nicklas Lidstrom was selected as the best defenseman and the seventh-best player overall.
Henrik Lundqvist was named the top goaltender and 13th overall.
One of the most noteworthy snubs was John Tavares, who has broken out this season with 70 points in 71 games, but didn’t even make the top 50. Think Tavares should have been on the list? Would you have ranked Datsyuk over the likes of Malkin, Stamkos, and Giroux?
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 2
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 8
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)