Mar 16, 2012, 8:01 PM EST
Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan is generally described as a good guy and sometimes a sympathetic figure for sticking it out through some lean years in the desert. Still, his rugged style occasionally goes over the line.
The NHL deemed his boarding hit on Mark Giordano as “a bit” over the line, at least if you classify things by punishment alone. Doan was handed the wrist-slap maximum fine of $2,500 for his misstep.
Feel free to agree or disagree with the decision in the comments, but allow me to float this other thought: should bigger fines be discussed during the next CBA talks? That much money is tear-jerking kind of stuff for most of us, but aside from maybe the occasional goon who bounces between the AHL and NHL, that “maximum” fine probably teaches a minimal lesson.
Then again, Doan might miss that money if he isn’t saving up for a possible lockout.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 0
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 12
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 45
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)