Mar 16, 2012, 8:01 PM EDT
Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan is generally described as a good guy and sometimes a sympathetic figure for sticking it out through some lean years in the desert. Still, his rugged style occasionally goes over the line.
The NHL deemed his boarding hit on Mark Giordano as “a bit” over the line, at least if you classify things by punishment alone. Doan was handed the wrist-slap maximum fine of $2,500 for his misstep.
Feel free to agree or disagree with the decision in the comments, but allow me to float this other thought: should bigger fines be discussed during the next CBA talks? That much money is tear-jerking kind of stuff for most of us, but aside from maybe the occasional goon who bounces between the AHL and NHL, that “maximum” fine probably teaches a minimal lesson.
Then again, Doan might miss that money if he isn’t saving up for a possible lockout.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 26
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 14
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 30
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 24
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 18
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 102
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (102)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement