Mar 16, 2012, 4:08 PM EDT
Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs gave her annual State of the City address yesterday, and it came complete with a shot at the NHL.
“Now, this would be a perfect time to provide you with an update on the Phoenix Coyotes, but I won’t be doing that because I don’t know anything other than what has already been reported by the media,” Scruggs said. “But, we continue to hope the National Hockey League will find a new owner that will bring stability to this franchise.”
In January, Scruggs expressed frustration that the city was being blamed for not finding a solution to the Coyotes’ ownership situation when it was the league’s responsibility to get that done.
“We are not in control and quite honestly, I’m kind of tired of everybody pointing to us and making comments that the city of Glendale can’t get the job done,” she said.
Of note, it wasn’t all bad news for the city in the mayor’s annual address. According to Scruggs, the Ashley Furniture and La-Z-Boy stores on Bell Road are absolutely crushing it.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)