Mar 16, 2012, 4:08 PM EDT
Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs gave her annual State of the City address yesterday, and it came complete with a shot at the NHL.
“Now, this would be a perfect time to provide you with an update on the Phoenix Coyotes, but I won’t be doing that because I don’t know anything other than what has already been reported by the media,” Scruggs said. “But, we continue to hope the National Hockey League will find a new owner that will bring stability to this franchise.”
In January, Scruggs expressed frustration that the city was being blamed for not finding a solution to the Coyotes’ ownership situation when it was the league’s responsibility to get that done.
“We are not in control and quite honestly, I’m kind of tired of everybody pointing to us and making comments that the city of Glendale can’t get the job done,” she said.
Of note, it wasn’t all bad news for the city in the mayor’s annual address. According to Scruggs, the Ashley Furniture and La-Z-Boy stores on Bell Road are absolutely crushing it.
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 14
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 40
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31