Mar 16, 2012, 4:08 PM EDT
Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs gave her annual State of the City address yesterday, and it came complete with a shot at the NHL.
“Now, this would be a perfect time to provide you with an update on the Phoenix Coyotes, but I won’t be doing that because I don’t know anything other than what has already been reported by the media,” Scruggs said. “But, we continue to hope the National Hockey League will find a new owner that will bring stability to this franchise.”
In January, Scruggs expressed frustration that the city was being blamed for not finding a solution to the Coyotes’ ownership situation when it was the league’s responsibility to get that done.
“We are not in control and quite honestly, I’m kind of tired of everybody pointing to us and making comments that the city of Glendale can’t get the job done,” she said.
Of note, it wasn’t all bad news for the city in the mayor’s annual address. According to Scruggs, the Ashley Furniture and La-Z-Boy stores on Bell Road are absolutely crushing it.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)