Mar 16, 2012, 9:03 PM EST
The “how quickly things can change” shutout theme continued today for Kari Lehtonen and the Dallas Stars, who might not look at their St. Patrick’s Day pre-game jersey gimmicks as so “lucky” anymore. Lehtonen carried a 128 minute and 32 second goose egg run into Friday and then saw Dave Bolland end it … 10 seconds into the game.
It got worse, too, as Patrick Sharp made it 2-0 about a minute and a half later.
With nearly half the first period remaining, there’s plenty of time for the Stars to come back. Still, if you want evidence of how drastically fortunes can shift from game-to-game (or even moment-to-moment) in the NHL, point to those two-goals-allowed clips by Lehtonen and Bryzgalov.
Update: the Blackhawks won the game 4-1. Check out highlights below.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)