Mar 16, 2012, 9:03 PM EDT
The “how quickly things can change” shutout theme continued today for Kari Lehtonen and the Dallas Stars, who might not look at their St. Patrick’s Day pre-game jersey gimmicks as so “lucky” anymore. Lehtonen carried a 128 minute and 32 second goose egg run into Friday and then saw Dave Bolland end it … 10 seconds into the game.
It got worse, too, as Patrick Sharp made it 2-0 about a minute and a half later.
With nearly half the first period remaining, there’s plenty of time for the Stars to come back. Still, if you want evidence of how drastically fortunes can shift from game-to-game (or even moment-to-moment) in the NHL, point to those two-goals-allowed clips by Lehtonen and Bryzgalov.
Update: the Blackhawks won the game 4-1. Check out highlights below.
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 3
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 11
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)