Mar 16, 2012, 11:48 AM EDT
Earlier this month, Flyers forward Danny Briere set off a mini-firestorm when he said that goalie Ilya Bryzgalov had “actually been a great teammate” of late – the inference being Bryzgalov hadn’t always been a great teammate.
Briere also said that before “everything was about Bryz. When he played well, when he played bad, everything was about Bryz.”
Later Briere said he was only trying to pump Brygalov’s tires, not throw him under the bus for past transgressions.
However, it’s telling that Bryzgalov was extremely quick to credit his teammates last night after setting a club record for longest shutout streak.
In fact, he almost went overboard recognizing everyone around him.
“I think it’s not for me,” he said. “I think it’s a great team accomplishment. I know I was not alone on the ice. It is a team thing. And I think the whole team deserves it. I just want to say congratulations to the organization and all players who played these games.”
Here’s the video of Bryzgalov’s scrum, courtesy CSNPhilly.com. (Not shown: Bryzgalov acknowledging the team’s trainer for doing such a bang-up job sharpening skates. Can’t set a shutout record without sharp skates.)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 53
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (54)