Mar 16, 2012, 11:48 AM EDT
Earlier this month, Flyers forward Danny Briere set off a mini-firestorm when he said that goalie Ilya Bryzgalov had “actually been a great teammate” of late – the inference being Bryzgalov hadn’t always been a great teammate.
Briere also said that before “everything was about Bryz. When he played well, when he played bad, everything was about Bryz.”
Later Briere said he was only trying to pump Brygalov’s tires, not throw him under the bus for past transgressions.
However, it’s telling that Bryzgalov was extremely quick to credit his teammates last night after setting a club record for longest shutout streak.
In fact, he almost went overboard recognizing everyone around him.
“I think it’s not for me,” he said. “I think it’s a great team accomplishment. I know I was not alone on the ice. It is a team thing. And I think the whole team deserves it. I just want to say congratulations to the organization and all players who played these games.”
Here’s the video of Bryzgalov’s scrum, courtesy CSNPhilly.com. (Not shown: Bryzgalov acknowledging the team’s trainer for doing such a bang-up job sharpening skates. Can’t set a shutout record without sharp skates.)
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 37
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 98
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)