Mar 16, 2012, 11:48 AM EDT
Earlier this month, Flyers forward Danny Briere set off a mini-firestorm when he said that goalie Ilya Bryzgalov had “actually been a great teammate” of late – the inference being Bryzgalov hadn’t always been a great teammate.
Briere also said that before “everything was about Bryz. When he played well, when he played bad, everything was about Bryz.”
Later Briere said he was only trying to pump Brygalov’s tires, not throw him under the bus for past transgressions.
However, it’s telling that Bryzgalov was extremely quick to credit his teammates last night after setting a club record for longest shutout streak.
In fact, he almost went overboard recognizing everyone around him.
“I think it’s not for me,” he said. “I think it’s a great team accomplishment. I know I was not alone on the ice. It is a team thing. And I think the whole team deserves it. I just want to say congratulations to the organization and all players who played these games.”
Here’s the video of Bryzgalov’s scrum, courtesy CSNPhilly.com. (Not shown: Bryzgalov acknowledging the team’s trainer for doing such a bang-up job sharpening skates. Can’t set a shutout record without sharp skates.)
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 9
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 12
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 9
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 29
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)