Mar 16, 2012, 11:48 AM EDT
Earlier this month, Flyers forward Danny Briere set off a mini-firestorm when he said that goalie Ilya Bryzgalov had “actually been a great teammate” of late – the inference being Bryzgalov hadn’t always been a great teammate.
Briere also said that before “everything was about Bryz. When he played well, when he played bad, everything was about Bryz.”
Later Briere said he was only trying to pump Brygalov’s tires, not throw him under the bus for past transgressions.
However, it’s telling that Bryzgalov was extremely quick to credit his teammates last night after setting a club record for longest shutout streak.
In fact, he almost went overboard recognizing everyone around him.
“I think it’s not for me,” he said. “I think it’s a great team accomplishment. I know I was not alone on the ice. It is a team thing. And I think the whole team deserves it. I just want to say congratulations to the organization and all players who played these games.”
Here’s the video of Bryzgalov’s scrum, courtesy CSNPhilly.com. (Not shown: Bryzgalov acknowledging the team’s trainer for doing such a bang-up job sharpening skates. Can’t set a shutout record without sharp skates.)
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Eastern Conference Final Game 6 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 25
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)