Mar 16, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues suffered another critical blow Friday when GM Doug Armstrong confirmed Andy McDonald injured his right shoulder against Carolina. The Blues alternate captain is listed as week-to-week and will have the shoulder reevaluated in 14 days.
McDonald’s injury occurred after he was shoved into the boards by ‘Canes forward Tuomo Ruutu:
Ruutu went unpenalized on the play while McDonald left immediately and didn’t return. The incident drew the ire of Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock, who let his feelings be known:
“I didn’t like the hit. I thought the hit was certainly a penalty, whether it’s a suspension or not, who knows? But that’s what’s wrong with our game? The player was in a vulnerable position. He knocked his stick to knock him off balance and then pushed him hard into the boards. It’s a real tough play in hockey.”
McDonald already missed a large portion of this season with a concussion, but had returned to the Blues lineup in style, scoring 19 points in 21 games. Last night’s shutout loss snapped his six-game point streak (4G, 5A) — he also had points in nine of 10 contests prior to getting hurt.
According to Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Hitch confirmed McDonald’s listed as week-to-week, but added the 34-year-old should be back in time for the playoffs.
(And, for what it’s worth, the club is officially calling the injury a “shoulder contusion.”)
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 0
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 16
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)