Mar 16, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues suffered another critical blow Friday when GM Doug Armstrong confirmed Andy McDonald injured his right shoulder against Carolina. The Blues alternate captain is listed as week-to-week and will have the shoulder reevaluated in 14 days.
McDonald’s injury occurred after he was shoved into the boards by ‘Canes forward Tuomo Ruutu:
Ruutu went unpenalized on the play while McDonald left immediately and didn’t return. The incident drew the ire of Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock, who let his feelings be known:
“I didn’t like the hit. I thought the hit was certainly a penalty, whether it’s a suspension or not, who knows? But that’s what’s wrong with our game? The player was in a vulnerable position. He knocked his stick to knock him off balance and then pushed him hard into the boards. It’s a real tough play in hockey.”
McDonald already missed a large portion of this season with a concussion, but had returned to the Blues lineup in style, scoring 19 points in 21 games. Last night’s shutout loss snapped his six-game point streak (4G, 5A) — he also had points in nine of 10 contests prior to getting hurt.
According to Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Hitch confirmed McDonald’s listed as week-to-week, but added the 34-year-old should be back in time for the playoffs.
(And, for what it’s worth, the club is officially calling the injury a “shoulder contusion.”)
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 5
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 25
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)