Mar 16, 2012, 1:14 PM EST
The St. Louis Blues suffered another critical blow Friday when GM Doug Armstrong confirmed Andy McDonald injured his right shoulder against Carolina. The Blues alternate captain is listed as week-to-week and will have the shoulder reevaluated in 14 days.
McDonald’s injury occurred after he was shoved into the boards by ‘Canes forward Tuomo Ruutu:
Ruutu went unpenalized on the play while McDonald left immediately and didn’t return. The incident drew the ire of Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock, who let his feelings be known:
“I didn’t like the hit. I thought the hit was certainly a penalty, whether it’s a suspension or not, who knows? But that’s what’s wrong with our game? The player was in a vulnerable position. He knocked his stick to knock him off balance and then pushed him hard into the boards. It’s a real tough play in hockey.”
McDonald already missed a large portion of this season with a concussion, but had returned to the Blues lineup in style, scoring 19 points in 21 games. Last night’s shutout loss snapped his six-game point streak (4G, 5A) — he also had points in nine of 10 contests prior to getting hurt.
According to Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Hitch confirmed McDonald’s listed as week-to-week, but added the 34-year-old should be back in time for the playoffs.
(And, for what it’s worth, the club is officially calling the injury a “shoulder contusion.”)
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2