Mar 16, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues suffered another critical blow Friday when GM Doug Armstrong confirmed Andy McDonald injured his right shoulder against Carolina. The Blues alternate captain is listed as week-to-week and will have the shoulder reevaluated in 14 days.
McDonald’s injury occurred after he was shoved into the boards by ‘Canes forward Tuomo Ruutu:
Ruutu went unpenalized on the play while McDonald left immediately and didn’t return. The incident drew the ire of Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock, who let his feelings be known:
“I didn’t like the hit. I thought the hit was certainly a penalty, whether it’s a suspension or not, who knows? But that’s what’s wrong with our game? The player was in a vulnerable position. He knocked his stick to knock him off balance and then pushed him hard into the boards. It’s a real tough play in hockey.”
McDonald already missed a large portion of this season with a concussion, but had returned to the Blues lineup in style, scoring 19 points in 21 games. Last night’s shutout loss snapped his six-game point streak (4G, 5A) — he also had points in nine of 10 contests prior to getting hurt.
According to Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Hitch confirmed McDonald’s listed as week-to-week, but added the 34-year-old should be back in time for the playoffs.
(And, for what it’s worth, the club is officially calling the injury a “shoulder contusion.”)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)