Mar 15, 2012, 1:16 PM EDT
There’s still no timetable for the return of Travis Zajac to the New Jersey lineup, but the Devils’ forward said he intends to play before the end of the regular season.
“That’s the plan,” Zajac said, as per The Record. “There’s no date. We’ll talk with the doctors every week and go from there. There’s no set date. We’ll take it a day at a time here. The key for me is getting in good practices when the team does practice and trying to get in some game-like situations. This is the toughest time of the year. Points matter. Every game is important. The competitiveness is at a whole other level the last few games going into the playoffs, so for me my thought pattern is just having good practices, making sure I really get myself back into the swing of things.”
General manager Lou Lamoriello confirmed today that Zajac (Achilles tendon) has been cleared for contact and to practice with the team.
Given New Jersey is comfortably in a playoff position, there’s no reason to rush Zajac back. A few games to shake the rust off before the postseason starts should suffice.
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 5
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 11
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 11
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 6
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)