Mar 15, 2012, 1:16 PM EDT
There’s still no timetable for the return of Travis Zajac to the New Jersey lineup, but the Devils’ forward said he intends to play before the end of the regular season.
“That’s the plan,” Zajac said, as per The Record. “There’s no date. We’ll talk with the doctors every week and go from there. There’s no set date. We’ll take it a day at a time here. The key for me is getting in good practices when the team does practice and trying to get in some game-like situations. This is the toughest time of the year. Points matter. Every game is important. The competitiveness is at a whole other level the last few games going into the playoffs, so for me my thought pattern is just having good practices, making sure I really get myself back into the swing of things.”
General manager Lou Lamoriello confirmed today that Zajac (Achilles tendon) has been cleared for contact and to practice with the team.
Given New Jersey is comfortably in a playoff position, there’s no reason to rush Zajac back. A few games to shake the rust off before the postseason starts should suffice.
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 6
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 18
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)