Mar 15, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
Big news from the Bay Area as the Sharks announced RW Martin Havlat has been activated from injured reserve. Havlat, 30, has been out of the San Jose lineup since partially tearing his hamstring against Edmonton on Dec. 19 (on this freak injury):
The Sharks are hoping Havlat’s return will spark their offense. A six-time 20-goal scorer, Havlat has just two through 26 games this season but has proven to be an efficient sniper when healthy. During his three seasons in Chicago, Havlat scored 64 goals in 172 games (Average: 30 per 82) while playing with a set of skilled forwards comparable to San Jose’s.
That said, San Jose’s forwards are struggling to find the back of the net lately. The Sharks haven’t scored more than three goals in a single game since Feb. 16 — a stretch of 14 contests — and have just 11 goals in all of March.
(If you’re wondering why the Sharks picked tonight for Havlat’s return, do consider they’re playing the Preds — Havlat has 37 points in 30 career games against Nashville.)
UPDATE: Here’s Havlat talking to San Jose’s Dan Rusanowsky, confirming he’s back in the lineup.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 30
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)