Mar 15, 2012, 2:04 PM EST
Big news from the Bay Area as the Sharks announced RW Martin Havlat has been activated from injured reserve. Havlat, 30, has been out of the San Jose lineup since partially tearing his hamstring against Edmonton on Dec. 19 (on this freak injury):
The Sharks are hoping Havlat’s return will spark their offense. A six-time 20-goal scorer, Havlat has just two through 26 games this season but has proven to be an efficient sniper when healthy. During his three seasons in Chicago, Havlat scored 64 goals in 172 games (Average: 30 per 82) while playing with a set of skilled forwards comparable to San Jose’s.
That said, San Jose’s forwards are struggling to find the back of the net lately. The Sharks haven’t scored more than three goals in a single game since Feb. 16 — a stretch of 14 contests — and have just 11 goals in all of March.
(If you’re wondering why the Sharks picked tonight for Havlat’s return, do consider they’re playing the Preds — Havlat has 37 points in 30 career games against Nashville.)
UPDATE: Here’s Havlat talking to San Jose’s Dan Rusanowsky, confirming he’s back in the lineup.
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 1
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 20
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 27
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)