Mar 15, 2012, 2:04 PM EST
Big news from the Bay Area as the Sharks announced RW Martin Havlat has been activated from injured reserve. Havlat, 30, has been out of the San Jose lineup since partially tearing his hamstring against Edmonton on Dec. 19 (on this freak injury):
The Sharks are hoping Havlat’s return will spark their offense. A six-time 20-goal scorer, Havlat has just two through 26 games this season but has proven to be an efficient sniper when healthy. During his three seasons in Chicago, Havlat scored 64 goals in 172 games (Average: 30 per 82) while playing with a set of skilled forwards comparable to San Jose’s.
That said, San Jose’s forwards are struggling to find the back of the net lately. The Sharks haven’t scored more than three goals in a single game since Feb. 16 — a stretch of 14 contests — and have just 11 goals in all of March.
(If you’re wondering why the Sharks picked tonight for Havlat’s return, do consider they’re playing the Preds — Havlat has 37 points in 30 career games against Nashville.)
UPDATE: Here’s Havlat talking to San Jose’s Dan Rusanowsky, confirming he’s back in the lineup.
- Report: Connolly suffers broken finger in Bruins practice 1
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 9
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)