Mar 15, 2012, 10:57 AM EST
Dmitry Chesnokov (Puck Daddy/TSN) brings us the latest on the Alexander Radulov-to-Nashville saga:
In 2010, Radulov signed a two-year extension with Salavat (with one year left on his initial contract.) It was a surprising move — many thought he’d want back in the NHL after his first tour of the KHL was up.
Chesnokov explained the logic behind Radulov’s extension on Puck Daddy that same year:
What was the reason behind staying in the KHL? [Radulov’s Russian agent Yuri ] Nikolaev explained:
“Let’s look at it from the point of view of Radulov’s careers. The CBA between the NHL and the NHLPA will expire in the next couple of years. If Radulov’s contract expired next year, he would have one more year to wait until the new CBA in North America.
The NHLPA now has new people with their new vision of things, and no one understands when and how the new CBA is going to be signed and what may happen if the new CBA is not signed in time.
That’s why we decided to wait and see what is going to happen over there, and what CBA will be signed. And then we will have a choice.”
Radulov decided to extend his contract in the KHL to cover a possible lockout. His agent confirmed that the player didn’t consider coming back to the NHL until the new CBA is signed.
At some point, Radulov made the decision to head back to North America at the end of the 2011-12 KHL season rather than wait for the NHL to sign a new CBA. Why? Well, one would think it has to do with playing out his final year of his entry-level deal with Nashville, which would allow him to become a free agent this summer.
Theoretically speaking, Radulov could cash in with a solid end-of-season/playoff performance with the Preds — especially since this summer’s FA forward market has thinned out with the likes of Ales Hemsky, Mikhail Grabovski and Tuomo Ruutu all re-upping with their respective clubs.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 48
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 76
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)