Mar 15, 2012, 4:07 PM EDT
If the NHL returns to Quebec City, there won’t be any issues making payroll if it’s owned by media giant Quebecor.
Today the company released its financial results for 2011, revealing annual revenue of $4.21 billion and net income attributable to shareholders of $201.0 million.
CEO Pierre Karl Peladeau also touched on Quebecor’s NHL ambitions, which involve purchasing a franchise to play in a new $400 million arena that the company will also manage.
“We now have all of the tools required to focus on developing strong relationships and partnerships with international entertainment performers and the National Hockey League,” Peladeau told analysts, as per the Canadian Press.
“Our agreement with Quebec City for the management of a new facility that will be built by September 2015 also contributes to our objective of diversifying and complementing our content offerings.”
Some solid corporate speak there.
In addition to ticket and sponsorship revenue, owning a hockey team would also provide content to broadcast on the company’s new all-sports specialty channel. (They call that “synergy,” or in certain cases “leveraging existing assets.”)
Add it up and Quebecor seems like a dream owner for the NHL, one with deep pockets and the ability to distribute content on multiple platforms.
“Multiple platforms” is a good buzz phrase, too.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)