Mar 15, 2012, 4:07 PM EST
If the NHL returns to Quebec City, there won’t be any issues making payroll if it’s owned by media giant Quebecor.
Today the company released its financial results for 2011, revealing annual revenue of $4.21 billion and net income attributable to shareholders of $201.0 million.
CEO Pierre Karl Peladeau also touched on Quebecor’s NHL ambitions, which involve purchasing a franchise to play in a new $400 million arena that the company will also manage.
“We now have all of the tools required to focus on developing strong relationships and partnerships with international entertainment performers and the National Hockey League,” Peladeau told analysts, as per the Canadian Press.
“Our agreement with Quebec City for the management of a new facility that will be built by September 2015 also contributes to our objective of diversifying and complementing our content offerings.”
Some solid corporate speak there.
In addition to ticket and sponsorship revenue, owning a hockey team would also provide content to broadcast on the company’s new all-sports specialty channel. (They call that “synergy,” or in certain cases “leveraging existing assets.”)
Add it up and Quebecor seems like a dream owner for the NHL, one with deep pockets and the ability to distribute content on multiple platforms.
“Multiple platforms” is a good buzz phrase, too.
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 22
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 19
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 27
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 30
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 32
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 58
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)