Mar 15, 2012, 4:07 PM EDT
If the NHL returns to Quebec City, there won’t be any issues making payroll if it’s owned by media giant Quebecor.
Today the company released its financial results for 2011, revealing annual revenue of $4.21 billion and net income attributable to shareholders of $201.0 million.
CEO Pierre Karl Peladeau also touched on Quebecor’s NHL ambitions, which involve purchasing a franchise to play in a new $400 million arena that the company will also manage.
“We now have all of the tools required to focus on developing strong relationships and partnerships with international entertainment performers and the National Hockey League,” Peladeau told analysts, as per the Canadian Press.
“Our agreement with Quebec City for the management of a new facility that will be built by September 2015 also contributes to our objective of diversifying and complementing our content offerings.”
Some solid corporate speak there.
In addition to ticket and sponsorship revenue, owning a hockey team would also provide content to broadcast on the company’s new all-sports specialty channel. (They call that “synergy,” or in certain cases “leveraging existing assets.”)
Add it up and Quebecor seems like a dream owner for the NHL, one with deep pockets and the ability to distribute content on multiple platforms.
“Multiple platforms” is a good buzz phrase, too.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 27
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)