Mar 15, 2012, 4:07 PM EDT
If the NHL returns to Quebec City, there won’t be any issues making payroll if it’s owned by media giant Quebecor.
Today the company released its financial results for 2011, revealing annual revenue of $4.21 billion and net income attributable to shareholders of $201.0 million.
CEO Pierre Karl Peladeau also touched on Quebecor’s NHL ambitions, which involve purchasing a franchise to play in a new $400 million arena that the company will also manage.
“We now have all of the tools required to focus on developing strong relationships and partnerships with international entertainment performers and the National Hockey League,” Peladeau told analysts, as per the Canadian Press.
“Our agreement with Quebec City for the management of a new facility that will be built by September 2015 also contributes to our objective of diversifying and complementing our content offerings.”
Some solid corporate speak there.
In addition to ticket and sponsorship revenue, owning a hockey team would also provide content to broadcast on the company’s new all-sports specialty channel. (They call that “synergy,” or in certain cases “leveraging existing assets.”)
Add it up and Quebecor seems like a dream owner for the NHL, one with deep pockets and the ability to distribute content on multiple platforms.
“Multiple platforms” is a good buzz phrase, too.
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 2
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 23
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)