Mar 15, 2012, 4:07 PM EDT
If the NHL returns to Quebec City, there won’t be any issues making payroll if it’s owned by media giant Quebecor.
Today the company released its financial results for 2011, revealing annual revenue of $4.21 billion and net income attributable to shareholders of $201.0 million.
CEO Pierre Karl Peladeau also touched on Quebecor’s NHL ambitions, which involve purchasing a franchise to play in a new $400 million arena that the company will also manage.
“We now have all of the tools required to focus on developing strong relationships and partnerships with international entertainment performers and the National Hockey League,” Peladeau told analysts, as per the Canadian Press.
“Our agreement with Quebec City for the management of a new facility that will be built by September 2015 also contributes to our objective of diversifying and complementing our content offerings.”
Some solid corporate speak there.
In addition to ticket and sponsorship revenue, owning a hockey team would also provide content to broadcast on the company’s new all-sports specialty channel. (They call that “synergy,” or in certain cases “leveraging existing assets.”)
Add it up and Quebecor seems like a dream owner for the NHL, one with deep pockets and the ability to distribute content on multiple platforms.
“Multiple platforms” is a good buzz phrase, too.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 47
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 50
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)