Mar 15, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT
Just in case there’s a work stoppage after the CBA expires on Sept. 15, Kings forward Dustin Brown is starting to load up his piggy bank.
“Yeah. Just preparing, you never know,” Brown, a father of three, told ESPN’s Craig Custance. “It’s a lot more important for me this time around in regards to my personal situation and what I have to look out for. It’s definitely something all players are keeping an eye on.”
Brown’s in the fourth year of a six-year, $19.05 million contract, so assuming he’s not a member of the Fabergé Egg of the Month Club, it shouldn’t take too long to build up a rainy-day fund.
Custance also spoke to a number of NHL agents about the possibility of a lockout. The majority have been advising their clients to at least prepare for one, even if there’s mostly optimism that common sense will prevail in the end.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 14
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 68
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks