Mar 15, 2012, 7:52 PM EDT
It’s tough to imagine Sidney Crosby lighting up the New York Rangers like he destroyed the New York Islanders, but you could feel a bit of that magic from the moment he stepped back on the ice. (Sure, there was a lot of profane “magic” from Rangers fans, but that just adds to the atmosphere.)
In fact, Crosby’s interesting “third” line created the game’s first goal – on his first shift back. Crosby will only receive a +1 for his trouble, but he created a little havoc while Tyler Kennedy collected an assist on a weird Matt Cooke goal.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
I’d be surprised if that trio sticks together long-term, yet if they produce results like that often enough, the Pittsburgh Penguins might prove me wrong.
With the score 1-1 through the first period, Crosby played just under five minutes (4:56) and fired one shot on goal. That line also generated a power play for the Penguins.
Mar 14, 2014, 8:22 PM EDT
The player also responds.
Mar 14, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT
He hasn’t been taken out of an induced coma.
Mar 14, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Both are inked with the team for three more years.
Mar 14, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
He was their third first-rounder (27th overall) from 2013.
Mar 14, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
Anton Lander slides into his center spot vs. Detroit.
Mar 14, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
“Obviously I would have loved to save 10 grand, but it was part of it.”
Mar 14, 2014, 4:38 PM EDT
Specifically, playing right wing instead of left.
Mar 14, 2014, 3:39 PM EDT
Yep, another Penguins-Flyers series is a possibility.
Mar 14, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 14, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Lots going on here.
Mar 14, 2014, 2:12 PM EDT
The 30-year-old suffered an ankle injury during the Olympics
Mar 14, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
IOC finds “no indication of any intent of the athlete to improve his performance by taking a prohibited substance.”
Mar 14, 2014, 1:19 PM EDT
Ex-NHL netminder dishes on the latest from around the league.
Mar 14, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
His second in the last 12 months.
Mar 14, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
Is New Jersey coach Pete DeBoer headed for another big disappointment?
Mar 14, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
Yet another tough blow for Vancouver.
Mar 14, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
21-year-old Johan Sundstrom is set to make his NHL debut vs. San Jose.
Mar 14, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Tuukka at the top.
Mar 14, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Looks like no Horcoff, Eakin or Lehtonen in a key battle for playoff positioning.
Mar 14, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
Back-to-back games for Pittsburgh and Philly.
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 27
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 50
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 21
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 11
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 98
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 40
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)
- Cooke to play 1,000th game tomorrow (56)