Mar 15, 2012, 7:52 PM EST
It’s tough to imagine Sidney Crosby lighting up the New York Rangers like he destroyed the New York Islanders, but you could feel a bit of that magic from the moment he stepped back on the ice. (Sure, there was a lot of profane “magic” from Rangers fans, but that just adds to the atmosphere.)
In fact, Crosby’s interesting “third” line created the game’s first goal – on his first shift back. Crosby will only receive a +1 for his trouble, but he created a little havoc while Tyler Kennedy collected an assist on a weird Matt Cooke goal.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
I’d be surprised if that trio sticks together long-term, yet if they produce results like that often enough, the Pittsburgh Penguins might prove me wrong.
With the score 1-1 through the first period, Crosby played just under five minutes (4:56) and fired one shot on goal. That line also generated a power play for the Penguins.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 124
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 95
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 107
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (126)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (124)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (106)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (95)