Mar 15, 2012, 3:26 PM EDT
Much has been made over how Pittsburgh will handle Sidney Crosby‘s minutes in his latest comeback.
But what about the number of games he’ll play?
The Penguins have 14 games over the final 23 days of the regular season, including a three-in-four nights stretch beginning tonight in New York — leading some to theorize that Crosby should take the occasional maintenance day (or, safety precaution day.)
But that’s not going to happen, according to Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma.
“There’s really no thought in my mind that he’s not going to play in all 14 games,” Bylsma told ESPN. “Would we think about certain scenarios? Maybe. But like I said, am I going to ask Sidney Crosby to not play in Philadelphia? It doesn’t seem like that’s a likely possibility in any regard.”
After the three-games-in-four-nights stretch — against the Rangers, Devils and Flyers — it’ll be hard for Pittsburgh not to look ahead to its final four games of the season. From April 1-7 the Penguins play the Flyers, Bruins, Rangers then Flyers again in a quartet of games that could decide pecking order in the Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference.
All four promise to be heated affairs, though Crosby isn’t ready to start looking so far ahead. He’s just trying to put tonight’s game against New York in context.
“You’re excited to get back out there,” Crosby said after today’s morning skate. “This is a big game. If anything, you’re trying to make it as normal as possible, if that’s possible.”
As for what he expects moving forward?
“I don’t expect to be where I was 14 months ago, but I expect to be at a pretty good level, create things and contribute. I’ll get a better idea of where I’m at once I start playing games, but I’m not going out there just to kill time.”
May 22, 2015, 11:40 AM EDT
No word yet if he’ll be able to play right away.
May 22, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
We really need to get these combos better nicknames, though.
May 22, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
The Rangers need The King to play like one tonight.
May 22, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
He also reiterates that the salary cap will be about $71M.
May 22, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Almost always a good way to go.
May 22, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT
May 22, 2015, 1:30 AM EDT
Ducks trying to make life miserable for Chicago’s goalie.
May 22, 2015, 1:00 AM EDT
Game 4 goes Saturday in Chicago.
May 22, 2015, 12:12 AM EDT
So, what will the coach do for Game 4?
May 21, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Chicago’s power play came up empty.
May 21, 2015, 10:36 PM EDT
Talk about timing.
May 21, 2015, 10:26 PM EDT
Quite a sequence.
May 21, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
‘Showtime’ strikes late in the period.
May 21, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Coach Q, shaking it up.
May 21, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Pittsburgh GM won’t stand in the way.
May 21, 2015, 6:58 PM EDT
Hit knocked the veteran d-man out of Game 3.
May 21, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
“To have a guy of his ilk, considered one of the best coaches in the National Hockey League, taking a real good hard look at us in Buffalo after a 30th-place finish — I thought the process was great.”
May 21, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Two-way contract for Karpat’s playoff scoring sensation.
May 21, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
A wide range of topics.
May 21, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
“It’s something that we’re working on everyday. We’re trying to do it behind closed doors and away from public scrutiny.”
- All eyes on Lundqvist 1
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 26
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)