Mar 15, 2012, 3:26 PM EST
Much has been made over how Pittsburgh will handle Sidney Crosby‘s minutes in his latest comeback.
But what about the number of games he’ll play?
The Penguins have 14 games over the final 23 days of the regular season, including a three-in-four nights stretch beginning tonight in New York — leading some to theorize that Crosby should take the occasional maintenance day (or, safety precaution day.)
But that’s not going to happen, according to Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma.
“There’s really no thought in my mind that he’s not going to play in all 14 games,” Bylsma told ESPN. “Would we think about certain scenarios? Maybe. But like I said, am I going to ask Sidney Crosby to not play in Philadelphia? It doesn’t seem like that’s a likely possibility in any regard.”
After the three-games-in-four-nights stretch — against the Rangers, Devils and Flyers — it’ll be hard for Pittsburgh not to look ahead to its final four games of the season. From April 1-7 the Penguins play the Flyers, Bruins, Rangers then Flyers again in a quartet of games that could decide pecking order in the Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference.
All four promise to be heated affairs, though Crosby isn’t ready to start looking so far ahead. He’s just trying to put tonight’s game against New York in context.
“You’re excited to get back out there,” Crosby said after today’s morning skate. “This is a big game. If anything, you’re trying to make it as normal as possible, if that’s possible.”
As for what he expects moving forward?
“I don’t expect to be where I was 14 months ago, but I expect to be at a pretty good level, create things and contribute. I’ll get a better idea of where I’m at once I start playing games, but I’m not going out there just to kill time.”
Feb 27, 2015, 1:16 AM EST
His shutout streak is now at 172:22.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Nino Niederreiter combined skill and good fortune to help his team win.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
Making room for Andrej Sekera.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:30 PM EST
Nice work from Craig Smith and Nino Niederreiter, respectively.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
The possibilities are extensive, it seems.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:55 PM EST
Giving up precious points.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:52 PM EST
Two goals on eight shots was enough to inspire a change.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:37 PM EST
He doesn’t regret signing with Toronto, though he’s welcoming the change.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:12 PM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Minnesota needs this against one of the West’s best.
Feb 26, 2015, 7:39 PM EST
In other news, it appears as though David Krejci is on LTIR.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:32 PM EST
Canucks requested the league take a closer look, but no evidence was found.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:27 PM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
Head coach Joel Quenneville said it’s “all news to me.”
Feb 26, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
A familiar face goes back to the Toronto organization.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:49 PM EST
Buy hey, you never know.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:39 PM EST
Bold move from Florida GM Dale Tallon.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:35 PM EST
Looking forward to playing “a better role.”
Feb 26, 2015, 4:31 PM EST
Joining the likes of Wayne Gretzky, Magic Johnson, Jerry West, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Chick Hearn and Oscar De La Hoya.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:06 PM EST
Former “CPR Line” line member is headed back to St. Louis.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)