Ovechkin leaves practice after colliding with Knuble

Mar 15, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT

New York Rangers v Washington Capitals Getty Images

Concerning news for Capitals fans, as Alex Ovechkin was forced to leave practice this morning after colliding with teammate Mike Knuble.

Via CSNWashington.com:

Ovechkin and Knuble were taking part in drills when the two collided around center ice. Ovechkin lay on the ice for about two minutes then took a seat on the Capitals bench for another three minutes, holding his head before retreating to the locker room.

The Washington Times has a picture of Ovechkin sitting on the bench, and he doesn’t look great.

There’s no official word from the Caps yet, and Ovechkin hasn’t spoken to reporters.

Washington leaves this afternoon for a game in Winnipeg tomorrow night.

More to come.

1. sjm1717 - Mar 15, 2012 at 11:42 AM

That’s what he gets for joking about concussions

• rg3isvictory - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Do you understand what the point of a joke is? Your comment is a joke.

2. sportsfreak13 - Mar 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Wonder if this is going to make hunter bench knuble again.

• abrienza428 - Mar 15, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I was just going to say, can Knuble do anything right?

• rg3isvictory - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Funny!

3. rainyday56 - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Reminds me of the time the Avs acquired both Selanne and Kariya to go with Foppa and Burnaby Joe. Can’t remember how that one worked out but I’m pretty sure Kariya never lifted the cup over his head …

• rainyday56 - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Sorry, this comment was meant for the Penguins PP article. oops.

4. seaner44 - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Ovie and Hunter wont be in Washington next year.

• jpelle82 - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM

8 isnt going anywhere, no one is going to take that behemoth of a contract

• rg3isvictory - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Wow, this guy has an inside track on a team willing to pay OVi a the rest of his huge contract! Considering OVi has carried this team for years and leads the team in goals I doubt they’d even consider an offer.

• davidpcoelho - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Plus….you rarely see any other sweaters outside of Ovi’s

5. davidpcoelho - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Hunter said he got the wind knocked out of him and was not his head.

I thought it just meant Backstrom was ready to play…

6. rg3isvictory - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM

The adversity the Caps have faxed this year has been good for them. I wish players, coaches and executives continue to critize OVI and others in an attempt to keep them on their toes. It’s been to easy for them and they’ve never been held accountable for all the early playoff exits. I also wish Hunter would me more fiery behind the bench. Consider his personality as a player I was expecting a more bruising style of play and equipment thrown onto the ice once in a while. At this I’m hoping they over the division and avoid player the Pens in the first round. Love to play them later in the playoff if the Caps can break their playoff let downs.

• rg3isvictory - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Dont know how i sent that twice.

7. rg3isvictory - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:43 PM

The adversity the Caps have faced this year has been good for them. I wish players, coaches and executives would continue to critize OVI and others in an attempt to keep them on their toes. It’s been to easy for them and they’ve never been held accountable for all the early playoff exits. I also wish Hunter would me more fiery behind the bench. Considering his personality as a player I was expecting a more bruising style of play and equipment thrown onto the ice once in a while. At this I’m hoping the caps over take the division and avoid playing the Pens in the first round. Love to play them later in the playoffs if the Caps can finally break their playoff let downs.

• letangusespertplus - Mar 15, 2012 at 1:39 PM