Mar 15, 2012, 8:30 AM EDT
Judging by the fact that he currently has a point-per-game, there’s really only one defenseman quite like Ottawa Senators star Erik Karlsson. (In fact, there are just six forwards who have more points than his 70 this season.)
Interesting thought, but how does that comment stack up? Let’s look at some of the similarities between the two:
- They’re both Swedish (and their last names end in -sson, which is super-relevant, I know).
- Each guy was drafted in the first round. Backing up Lawton, Karlsson was selected 15th overall in 2008 (and is 21 years old) while the Coyotes tabbed the 20-year-old Ekman-Larsson at No. 6 in 2009.
- Strong sophomore seasons: after partial rookie seasons, both played well in their second (and first full) campaigns. OEL is at 28 points while Karlsson finished with 45, although Ekman-Larsson’s -1 rating is more palatable than Karlsson’s -30 from 2010-11. (Naturally the two situations aren’t the same, which is why plus/minus is a shaky stat.)
Sure, there are some differences – most obviously, Karlsson has a right-handed shot while OEL shoots with his left – but Lawton doesn’t seem out of his mind or making the comparison.
Ekman-Larsson may struggle to flirt with Karlsson’s crazy numbers in a less wide-open system in Phoenix, yet it seems like there are some intriguing similarities between the two players’ paths. What do you think – is OEL on his way to becoming a star close to Karlsson’s scale?
(Either way, the Coyotes and Senators must be delighted to have stars who are so bright at such a young age.)
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 6
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 11
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 32
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)