Mar 15, 2012, 1:05 PM EDT
Should be quite the evening at the most famous arena in the world.
According to various reports, the Pittsburgh Penguins will welcome back defenseman Kris Letang to the lineup on Thursday as they face the Rangers at Madison Square Garden. Letang’s return will coincide with the comeback of Sidney Crosby, who has been out since Dec. 5 with concussion symptoms.
Letang’s missed the last five games due to headaches stemming from a hit to the head by Dallas’ Eric Nystrom in late February. It was Letang’s second head injury of the year — in November, he suffered a concussion after getting hit by Montreal’s Max Pacioretty and was out of the lineup until January.
While the returns are great for the Penguins, they do present a conundrum for head coach Dan Bylsma when it comes to allotting minutes. Bylsma’s on record saying Crosby will be held to “around 15″ in his first game back, but limiting Letang is tricky. He’ll be paired with usual defense partner Paul Martin — who averages 23 minutes a night — and when healthy, Letang has been a 25-plus guy.
Of note, Thursday’s game will be just the fifth this season that the Penguins will have Crosby, Letang and Evgeni Malkin in the lineup.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)