Mar 15, 2012, 9:47 PM EDT
Michael Grabner ended any thought of Ilya Bryzgalov setting a new modern NHL record by scoring a 3-1 goal, capping Breezy’s franchise-record streak at 249 minutes and 43 seconds.
After playing the fun-killers, the New York Islanders nearly rallied from a 3-0 deficit to take a point or two away from the Philadelphia Flyers. Grabner’s goal came 13:30 into the third period and John Tavares made it 3-2 just 35 seconds after that, but the Flyers managed to hold on to give them seven wins in their last eight games.
Chasing Pens and Rangers?
The Flyers find themselves in fifth place in the East and third in the Atlantic thanks to great play by the Pittsburgh Penguins and New York Rangers. Pittsburgh just wrapped up a 5-2 win against the Blueshirts in Sidney Crosby‘s return, making the Atlantic race look like this:
(1) Rangers: 95 points with 12 games left, 41 regulation/OT wins
(4) Penguins: 91 points with 13 games left, 34 regulation/OT wins
(5) Flyers: 89 points with 12 games left, 38 regulation/OT wins
It seems unlikely that Philly can make up that difference, but it’s far from impossible. They have three games remaining against the Penguins and one left versus the Rangers, so there’s the chance to make up ground if they stay hot – especially if New York stumbles down the gate.
Either way, Bryzgalov and the Flyers are red-hot right now. In fact, you could argue that avoiding Philly in the first round is almost as appealing as winning the division for the Rangers and Penguins.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 10
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)