Mar 15, 2012, 9:47 PM EDT
Michael Grabner ended any thought of Ilya Bryzgalov setting a new modern NHL record by scoring a 3-1 goal, capping Breezy’s franchise-record streak at 249 minutes and 43 seconds.
After playing the fun-killers, the New York Islanders nearly rallied from a 3-0 deficit to take a point or two away from the Philadelphia Flyers. Grabner’s goal came 13:30 into the third period and John Tavares made it 3-2 just 35 seconds after that, but the Flyers managed to hold on to give them seven wins in their last eight games.
Chasing Pens and Rangers?
The Flyers find themselves in fifth place in the East and third in the Atlantic thanks to great play by the Pittsburgh Penguins and New York Rangers. Pittsburgh just wrapped up a 5-2 win against the Blueshirts in Sidney Crosby‘s return, making the Atlantic race look like this:
(1) Rangers: 95 points with 12 games left, 41 regulation/OT wins
(4) Penguins: 91 points with 13 games left, 34 regulation/OT wins
(5) Flyers: 89 points with 12 games left, 38 regulation/OT wins
It seems unlikely that Philly can make up that difference, but it’s far from impossible. They have three games remaining against the Penguins and one left versus the Rangers, so there’s the chance to make up ground if they stay hot – especially if New York stumbles down the gate.
Either way, Bryzgalov and the Flyers are red-hot right now. In fact, you could argue that avoiding Philly in the first round is almost as appealing as winning the division for the Rangers and Penguins.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)